FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - KLM to make face masks compulsory for all passengers from 11 May 2020
Old May 12, 2020, 6:47 am
irishguy28
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by SouthWesterner
I would have thought it obvious that I was referring to what happens after the restrictions are lifted and the advice is changed.
I think it very unlikely that those restrictions are lifted or government advice is changed prior to August 31, the current end-date of the KLM mask ruling - certainly not across all territories served by KLM.

As such, KLM's requirement to wear a mask is probably not the primary driver of your (or anyone else's) reluctance to travel as expressed in posts in this thread. If someone is compelled to travel for essential reasons then clearly it's not going to be something that will stop travel (albeit you may ask the person compelling you to travel to book you on a different airline without a mask requirement - should there be any airlines that allow such travel by that time!). If your travel is discretionary, and you are happy to put up with the entry restrictions, self-isolation requirements, lack of facilities at your destination, higher hotel/accommodation prices (if not staying with friends), restrictions on activities allowed at your destination - then I don't think that the requirement to cover your face with some cotton is the straw that broke the camel's back, and that KLM's mask requirement is the one thing preventing you from travel.

While it is also clear that each territory and state will adjust measures at different tempos (just look at the fracturing of the response across the nations of the UK), and that there will therefore be no definitive "end date" when there is no longer any regulatory/public health/other reason for KLM to cling to a mask rule, I also expect that a majority of customers will continue to wear masks regardless beyond any such point.