FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Avios - will it still be Peak Summer Prices?
Old Apr 24, 2020, 1:17 pm
BrianDromey

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by crazy8534
If you see reward availability for a time you would be happy to travel I can’t see a good reason not to book. Reward flights are potentially less risky than other bookings.

Yes, your flight may be cancelled or travel not possible - in which case you will be refunded (albeit this may take a while).

If you decide you don’t fancy it, you can cancel up to 24 hrs beforehand and lose only your standard fee.

The main risk is that BA/IAG go bust and you join the end of a long queue of creditors- but in that case your Avios are worth nothing anyway (so no additional loss) and you are lucky in having put relatively less of your money on the line for the flights compared to those buying non-reward travel.
If BA were to go bust your travel insurance is very likely to cover you for lost flights, I would have thought? In a sense booking reward travel is hedging your bets. If BA are operating you get to go where you would like. If flights are cancelled by BA the rebooking policy is very flexible, if I were to cancel I would loose a small fee of £35 and if BA were to go bust I would have alternate travel from the travel insurance.

I see absolutely no reason not to book award travel to places one would like to go?