FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Thoughts on itinerary....
View Single Post
Old Apr 20, 2020, 9:30 am
JNelson113

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Hawes7701
definitely haven’t written it off for future as from what I read and understand, it would have been number one for my wife and I pre daughter days. We spent a couple of years backing packing around the world in some very “off the grid” locations and they tended to be our favourite - Tonga and western Somoa as well as many places in Indonesia.

anyway, back to topic. I have booked (refundable) stays for 8 nights in Lahaina on Maui, 7 nights in Wailua on Kauai and 6 nights in Waianae on Oahu all in 2 bedroom condos.

plan to get out and see as much as possible but always wanted something close to water (pool and sea) as a fall back if daughter isn’t playing ball.

any further thoughts on our locations would be welcome.

thanks all!!
Since you are asking for thoughts . . . I like your Kauai location as you have an easy drive to both the north side of the island, which is spectacular, and the south and west sides, which also have much to recommend them. There are also some cool things right behind you, such as the Fern Grotto.

Lahaina is a cute former whaling village but is a bit isolated on Maui and far from a lot of what there is to see and do. I would recommend the Kihei/Wailea area . . . much more centrally located and more to do. Then I'd just do a day trip to Lahaina. Just my opinion!

On Oahu, I've never stayed in that area but it's my understanding that it is a real "local" area and that they are not always friendly and welcoming to visitors. Just what I have heard. You are quite isolated over there away from the vast majority of what there is to see and do on Oahu. I'd recommend the north shore or the east side instead as you have much better access to the amenities of Oahu.

What a fun trip!