FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Improvements to Gold Upgrade Voucher bookings
Old Apr 19, 2020, 10:30 am
Jase76

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR / QF LTG
Originally Posted by KARFA
I can help on this. If you want to book say LHR-JFK-LHR in club, and you have a 2-4-1 + GUF2, then you just need I class in club. No need to worry about reward availability in WTP or CW. You would pay the avios rate for WTP for one person, and the taxes/fees/charges for 2 people in club.

Once you throw in the GUF then you can take advantage of the relatively new provisions which allow booking of GUFs based on revenue selling classes, reward availability isn't needed.
There is a subtle but important distinction with my scenario. It was my partner's Amex Companion Voucher (previously Amex 2-4-1 ) but my GUF2. So he would be making the booking then me applying the GUF2. In the end, I decided not to use the GUF2 and made the booking with by own Amex Companion Voucher with a GGL redemption.

However there may be parallels with another booking I made (which will be cancelled soon!). He used his Amex Companion Voucher for a LHR - TLV - LHR booking and we got First on the way our and Club on the way back for June, so this was an existing booking. My membership year was coming to an end and I had a GGL Redemption left that was going to go unused. BA let me apply it to the booking to upgrade the return to First, with payment of the change fee as the booking was not made by me. The GGL person was a bit perplexed that I wanted to do this until I explained the voucher would otherwise go unused.

Given the current situation, and 14 days self isolation in Israel, I am hoping BA will let me change the booking to December for LHR - EZE - LHR using his Companion Voucher and my GGL Redemption. They were helpful enough to place another booking that used last year's membership GGL Redemption to RAK "on hold" so I can use it when I have a destination and dates in mind. However this booking was made entirely under my name with standard Avios redemption.