FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi Premier refresh (2020)
View Single Post
Old Apr 19, 2020, 8:24 am
mikesyr18

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by xov91
Does anyone see a good case for keeping the premier over the amex gold? I have both at the moment. Fee for my gold card just posted today and my premier's fee will post shortly. I've made good use of both my TY points and MR, but I don't see a reason to have both cards after all of the changes to the premier.

Pros for the gold: higher earn rates on dining and grocery, MR are a bit more valuable, can easily use the dining credit, can still cashout MR for a few months before I likely cancel my schwab plat

Cons for the gold: airline credit, higher fee, poor downgrade option

Pros for the premier: lower fee, broad categories, portal boost for the next year, better downgrade options

Cons for the premier: lower multipliers, TY points are a bit less valuable, not really a con but I don't have a double cash so no uplift there

I will of course try for a retention offer on my gold. If that's successful, I'll downgrade the premier to a double cash. Otherwise, I'm having a harder time with this decision than I probably should. My spreadsheet points to the gold being a slightly better deal over all. Also, I likely won't use either for prepaid travel expenses as even the no-fee sapphire card has better travel protections. For now I still have a schwab plat and a CSR and will likely keep the CSR as is or downgrade to a CSP at renewal time in December.

Anyway, as I mentioned, the math points to the gold card for my particular situation, but I'm curious if anyone else sees the premier as the better option.
I fail to understand how the airline credit is a 'con' for the gold. At least AMEX offers something worthwhile... Citi will try to trick you into thinking their travel credit is actually a benefit, when they'll actually just raise the price and take a commission at the same time.

I would say DC is a better card for everyday spend if you just want one credit card. There's no AF and you earn 2x TYP on everything. I could even argue DC and Rewards+ is a better combination for no AF than the Premier at this point because you have the ability to accumulate more TY points, but then again, you wouldn't be able to transfer these points to airline partners.