Citi Premier refresh (2020)

Old Apr 8, 20, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMEX Membership Rewards
Citi Premier refresh (2020)

Some of the blogs are reporting a change in the Citi Premier earning structure

3x on restaurants, supermarkets, air travel, hotels, car rental, public transportation and tolls
1x on everything else

2x entertainment goes away

Current cardholders apparently keep 2x entertainment until April 2021

Also, 1.25c redemption for plane tickets go away via the Citi portal

Unclear how this impacts rideshare, Amtrak, OTAs and other categories

Also a $100 credit for hotel bookings over $500

Pluses and minuses to this change
Old Apr 8, 20, 2:00 pm

Programs: OZ, DL, AC, AS, AA, BA, Marriott, Hilton, IHG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post

3x on restaurants, supermarkets, air travel, hotels, car rental, public transportation and tolls
1x on everything else

I just saw that as well. So transit won't get 3x going forward?
Old Apr 8, 20, 3:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post

1x on everything else

One note since I wasn't sure reading your post: 3x on gas stays according to OMAAT. I think these changes are overall a huge plus for me. I use my Premier often already, but it would become my go-to card for everything: eating out, groceries, travel and gas.

I'd probably keep my Amex Platinum for the benefits, and maybe hold onto my Amex Blue Cash Preferred. Otherwise, all my annual fee cards would be expendable.
Old Apr 8, 20, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Xavier110 View Post
Otherwise, all my annual fee cards would be expendable.
The way Citi is constantly enhancing/nerfing their cards/benefits I wouldn't be surprised if it gets tweaked again sometime in 2021. They seem to never want to leave their products alone, at least the ThankYou earning ones.
Old Apr 8, 20, 4:50 pm

So there will be no benefit to booking airfare with Thank You points after April 2021 if the value is 1:1. I have been saving them for a big international trip, but with this virus I have lost my appetite for going overseas for a while. I already get 5x points on dining with Prestige. The 3x on groceries is decent.

Last edited by voodoogirl; Apr 8, 20 at 4:58 pm
Old Apr 8, 20, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by kdm31091 View Post
The way Citi is constantly enhancing/nerfing their cards/benefits I wouldn't be surprised if it gets tweaked again sometime in 2021. They seem to never want to leave their products alone, at least the ThankYou earning ones.
I feel like this kind of deter people from getting the Prestige. I think Citi should be encouraging people to get both cards. The spending categories and benefits should compliment one another.
Old Apr 8, 20, 6:29 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, AA, WN, BA, AS, TK, Radisson, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by voodoogirl View Post
So there will be no benefit to booking airfare with Thank You points after April 2021 if the value is 1:1. I have been saving them for a big international trip, but with this virus I have lost my appetite for going overseas for a while. I already get 5x points on dining with Prestige. The 3x on groceries is decent.
It's not just airfare, it's also hotels and car rentals. I was mostly booking hotels in conjunction with Prestige and Rewards+ it was giving 1.85cpp when you book 4 nights in a row. Not sure if they will give $100 when booking $500 hotel with TYP. This will be a slight hit, since redemption will now be at 1.48cpp.
Uncapped groceries category is great though, you can combine this card with Amex EDP, after you hit $6k yearly spend. Prestige is used for restaurants, so Gold becomes redundant and most likely will be cancelled and replaced by EDP.
Old Apr 8, 20, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by yugi View Post
It's not just airfare, it's also hotels and car rentals. I was mostly booking hotels in conjunction with Prestige and Rewards+ it was giving 1.85cpp when you book 4 nights in a row. Not sure if they will give $100 when booking $500 hotel with TYP. This will be a slight hit, since redemption will now be at 1.48cpp.
Uncapped groceries category is great though, you can combine this card with Amex EDP, after you hit $6k yearly spend. Prestige is used for restaurants, so Gold becomes redundant and most likely will be cancelled and replaced by EDP.
Thank you for the suggestion. I haven't really priced rental cars through the portal, but just looked and actually the rate is pretty good (for a Challenger) for an upcoming trip, I just might have to use some points for that! I haven't found a good rate for that category car and it's not much more than the full size boring car I had booked elsewhere. Now if only the cards still had car rental insurance coverage.

For those of us with Premier and Prestige, do I have this right? Post April 2021
Prestige - 5x Dining and Airfare, 3x Hotel and Cruise, 1x everything
Premier - 3x on restaurants, supermarkets, air travel, hotels, car rental, public transportation and tolls, 1x everything. $100 for $500 hotel (not sure if this will be much benefit)
Old Apr 8, 20, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by voodoogirl View Post
Thank you for the suggestion. I haven't really priced rental cars through the portal, but just looked and actually the rate is pretty good (for a Challenger) for an upcoming trip, I just might have to use some points for that! I haven't found a good rate for that category car and it's not much more than the full size boring car I had booked elsewhere. Now if only the cards still had car rental insurance coverage.

For those of us with Premier and Prestige, do I have this right? Post April 2021
Prestige - 5x Dining and Airfare, 3x Hotel and Cruise, 1x everything
Premier - 3x on restaurants, supermarkets, air travel, hotels, car rental, public transportation and tolls, 1x everything. $100 for $500 hotel (not sure if this will be much benefit)
It looks like Premier will have 3x on groceries, restaurants, gas, airfare and hotels.
Prestige - 5x on restaurants, airfare, travel agencies, 3x on hotels and cruises.
Old Apr 8, 20, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by yugi View Post
It looks like Premier will have 3x on groceries, restaurants, gas, airfare and hotels.
Prestige - 5x on restaurants, airfare, travel agencies, 3x on hotels and cruises.
You sure the new Premier won't have 3x on travel agencies as well?
Old Apr 9, 20, 2:27 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold, HHonors Diamond, Orbitz Platinum
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
It will, says so on the official Citi Premier site. Interesting, since many OTAs still code as travel agency. Lots of overlap with the Prestige, but also 3X gas/groceries. I think they can still complement one another.

Decisions, decisions...
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 9, 20, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by moe8555 View Post
It will, says so on the official Citi Premier site. Interesting, since many OTAs still code as travel agency. Lots of overlap with the Prestige, but also 3X gas/groceries. I think they can still complement one another.

Decisions, decisions...
I would have referred that they didn't make any changes to the Premier.
OP said transit is still 3x, but checking Citi's website, I think it'll be 1x going forward.

Hopefully Citi will add 5x to groceries for the Prestige. I still think there's way too much overlap.
Old Apr 9, 20, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMEX Membership Rewards
Here is the list of bonus categories for the card based on when you held it

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/ad...fo-CitiPremier

Basically, if you already have his card, or apply for the card through today, you get:

Between April 9, 2020 and August 22, 2020:

Unless you are participating in a limited-time offer, you will earn:

— 3 ThankYou Points for each $1 spent on travel including gas stations1
— 2 ThankYou Points for each $1 spent at restaurants2
— 2 ThankYou Points for each $1 spent on entertainment3
— 1 ThankYou Point for each $1 spent on all other purchases7

Between August 23, 2020 and April 9, 2021:

— 3 ThankYou Points for each $1 spent on travel including gas stations1
— 3 ThankYou Points for each $1 spent at restaurants2
— 3 ThankYou Points for each $1 spent at supermarkets4
— 2 ThankYou Points for each $1 spent on entertainment3

Cardmembers will also be eligible to receive the $100 Annual Hotel Savings Benefit8

Beginning April 10, 2021:

— 3 ThankYou Points for each $1 spent on air travel and hotels5
— 3 ThankYou Points for each $1 spent at restaurants2
— 3 ThankYou Points for each $1 spent at supermarkets4
— 3 ThankYou Points for each $1 spent at gas stations6

Cardmembers will also be eligible to receive the $100 Annual Hotel Savings Benefit8
lsquare, 36902BRF and xov91 like this.
Old Apr 9, 20, 8:33 am

I find it hard to believe the supermarket category would be uncapped given that even the Rewards+ is capped at 6k and that is only paying 2x.

If it is uncapped, not going to last long, but then again Citi changes the cards around constantly anyway.

For existing users, it's a good deal through April 2021 since you retain all the old benefits, get none of the drawbacks, and get the new benefits. It's after April 2021 that things change and the value proposition becomes weaker.
Old Apr 9, 20, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
Yes, on travel agencies as well.
lsquare likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: