FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Crazy Idea: Thought of putting 48000 miles on a rental car in a one month rental
Old Apr 17, 2020, 2:12 pm
g289t

Originally Posted by m907
I don't know if you're seriously considering this or not, but that would be pretty much impossible for a car to do that because you'd overheat the engine and who knows what else.
I don't think so. Vehicles are designed to run indefinitely, besides for maintenance. Running 6 - 10 hours without stopping is very common, and within a few minutes at highway speed everything will get as hot as it's going to get.

Originally Posted by Hawes7701
having done quite a few crazy road trips I can say with confidence that if you can average anything close to 55mph as an average you are doing very well.

until you have done it, you don’t appreciate how hard it is to keep the numbers high.
My family moved from the Midwest US to the East Coast. Both my wife's and my families live in the Midwest. We drive there regularly. We can easily drive the 1,000 miles in 15 hours, averaging 66.6666666667 mph. And that's with our van full of children. We drive through the night, and barely stop. Go out West, and you can make much better time.

While it would be very draining to keep this up for a month, it is certainly possible, theoretically.