Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Crazy Idea: Thought of putting 48000 miles on a rental car in a one month rental

Crazy Idea: Thought of putting 48000 miles on a rental car in a one month rental

Old Apr 16, 20, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

This is more of a dream, but I was wondering what would happen if I rented a car for a month (which can be done for under $400 right now) and had another complementary driver added on. The car will be driven for 24 hours non stop for 30 days (each dirver will take turns driving), across the United States to Alaska and throughout parts of Canada. At an average speed of 67 mph (including stopping for food, peeing on the side of the road), per day for 30 days, that will be 48000 miles added onto the rental car. The rental car company will probably only get $250, as the rest is taxes. Since rental cars buy cars at such discounts that they don't lose money when they sell them at 30000 miles. Say you get a car with already 30000 miles, and you put 48000 miles on the car making it reach almost 80000 miles, plumetting the value of the car by $4000 (this is based on comparing KBB value for a Mazda CX-5). Or it might be worse if you take a brand new car and add 48000 miles to it. The car rental company then loses the entire use of that car and has to sell it at a lower price than what they normally do.
Morgacj2004 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 20, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Stao916 View Post
This is more of a dream, but I was wondering what would happen if I rented a car for a month (which can be done for under $400 right now) and had another complementary driver added on. The car will be driven for 24 hours non stop for 30 days (each dirver will take turns driving), across the United States to Alaska and throughout parts of Canada. At an average speed of 67 mph (including stopping for food, peeing on the side of the road), per day for 30 days, that will be 48000 miles added onto the rental car. The rental car company will probably only get $250, as the rest is taxes. Since rental cars buy cars at such discounts that they don't lose money when they sell them at 30000 miles. Say you get a car with already 30000 miles, and you put 48000 miles on the car making it reach almost 80000 miles, plumetting the value of the car by $4000 (this is based on comparing KBB value for a Mazda CX-5). Or it might be worse if you take a brand new car and add 48000 miles to it. The car rental company then loses the entire use of that car and has to sell it at a lower price than what they normally do.
Most rental cars have scheduled maintenance that needs to be done. This idea sounds a bit pedantic, unless you got extra miles for each mile driven.
Morgacj2004 and Loren Pechtel like this.
Old Apr 16, 20, 6:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Most rental car contracts limit unlimited mileage - eg Hertz says that if you put more than 3,250 miles on a vehicle in a thirty day period, itís considered excessive wear and tear, and your ability to rent in the future could be impacted, as well as damage charges possibly affixed.
Old Apr 16, 20, 7:17 pm
Company Representative - Autoslash

There’s a good chance you’d earn yourself a one-way ticket to the Do Not Rent List.
Old Apr 17, 20, 5:02 am

I don't know if you're seriously considering this or not, but that would be pretty much impossible for a car to do that because you'd overheat the engine and who knows what else.
Old Apr 17, 20, 5:54 am

I've done this many times. What's impossible is OP's numbers. I've driven NY-LA and back within one week - but that's only 6,000mi. There is no routing in North America that would amount to a 48,000mi circle
Old Apr 17, 20, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by SinglePapa2 View Post
I've done this many times. What's impossible is OP's numbers. I've driven NY-LA and back within one week - but that's only 6,000mi. There is no routing in North America that would amount to a 48,000mi circle
having done quite a few crazy road trips I can say with confidence that if you can average anything close to 55mph as an average you are doing very well.

until you have done it, you donít appreciate how hard it is to keep the numbers high.
Old Apr 17, 20, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
What would be the point of this stunt beyond inflicting pain on the car rental company?
Old Apr 17, 20, 9:59 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Agree with others in that:
1. You'd definitely be on the DNR list after this rental. And with many agencies being tied together in some shape or form, you'd then be prevented from renting from multiple agencies.
2. What would the reasoning be, other than to waste gas/time/money and devalue a car for no reason?
3. With maintenance that needs to be done, you'd need to schedule significant downtime and won't get anywhere near your desired number.

With the need for routine MX (tires, fluid changes [oil, power steering and possibly others depending on the starting mileage], oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, etc). I'd imagine that:
1. The rental agency would never reimburse you for these if you pay for them and try to get reimbursed after so many miles
2. If you fail to have the mx done, they can come after you for negligence as everyone knows cars need work to remain safe/road worthy
3. If you try to swap out the car anywhere along the way for maintenance, they'll probably prevent you from actually swapping it and tell you to go find another way to continue your journey.

Last edited by IAHtraveler; Apr 17, 20 at 12:35 pm
Old Apr 17, 20, 10:12 am

Most people, of course, saw just as little sense in the US Cannonball Run record attempt (successfully completed just prior to CV-19 multi-nation exercise). Google it
Old Apr 17, 20, 12:49 pm

why go to all that work.

Just get the car, bring it home, but it up on blocks and set the cruise at 100.

keep filling gas (can do that while its running), and 30 days later you will have 72,000 miles on it!
Old Apr 17, 20, 1:18 pm

I am actually considering doing this to a less extreme degree. My plan was to rent in Texas (local) and drive to Alaska then back. I expect ~9000 miles. This is the first I'm hearing about unlimited miles being limited in the small print so I guess that's good to know. What about breaking the trip into several rentals? This trip was going to be over ~4 weeks to substitute for an ANA RTW trip I had planned but will cancel due to covid.
Old Apr 17, 20, 2:06 pm

What happened to all the National, Avis, Enterprise social media reps who showed up on this forum a week ago? Could someone officially weigh in?

From perusing previous threads on this topic, I've seen several different specific numerical limits, most commonly seen "3500 miles in 30 days" (Hertz) thrown around, but I haven't seen it on one of my own rental receipts. I know Hertz has additional terms on their website, I will look there but haven't yet found written confirmation from them.

I have also heard they only really care if they think you are using it for commercial uses, like renting a car and using it for delivery services without telling them.

EDIT: wow these car companies are intent on making it as difficult as possible for customers to know the details of the legal contracts we are entering into, Hert'z actual full T&Cs are nowhere to be found on their homepage or by Googling. I had to find them from another thread here on FT regarding different T&C changes. They are here: https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/ememb...dConditions.do

Under "PART II. B. TERMS AND CONDITIONS APPLICABLE TO RENTALS IN NORTH AMERICA" section "3. RETURN" it says:
ORDINARY WEAR DUE TO REASONABLE USE EXCEPTED, YOU MUST RETURN THE CAR TO HERTZ IN THE SAME CONDITION IT IS IN WHEN YOU RECEIVE IT.
Apparently Hertz has removed the language detailing "3500 miles in 30 days" that used to be there ~2017/2018. By Googling for Hertz's T&Cs, I was able to find Dollar Car Rentals' T&Cs, which apparently have not been updated to be consistent w/Hertz (nor spell-checked) since April 2016. In the Dollar T&Cs (https://www.dollar.com/Express/Enrol...onditions.aspx), it says:
ORDINARY WEAR DUE TO REASONABLE USE EXCEPTED, YOU MUST RETURN THE CAR TO DOLLAR IN THE SAME CONDITION IT IS IN WHEN YOU RECEIVE IT. IF YOU EXCEED 3500 MILES DRIVEN IN A 30 DAY PERIOD YOUR RENTAL PRIVILEGES MAY BE REVOLED DUE TO EXCESSIVE WEAR AND TEAR.
That 2nd sentence was deleted from Hertz's terms at some point in the last few years. Someone else please confirm these data as I don't even rent that much, I'm just an annoying smart-aleck who wants to know what I'm getting myself into
catawba likes this.

Last edited by glostix; Apr 17, 20 at 3:04 pm
Old Apr 17, 20, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by m907 View Post
I don't know if you're seriously considering this or not, but that would be pretty much impossible for a car to do that because you'd overheat the engine and who knows what else.
I don't think so. Vehicles are designed to run indefinitely, besides for maintenance. Running 6 - 10 hours without stopping is very common, and within a few minutes at highway speed everything will get as hot as it's going to get.

Originally Posted by Hawes7701 View Post
having done quite a few crazy road trips I can say with confidence that if you can average anything close to 55mph as an average you are doing very well.

until you have done it, you don’t appreciate how hard it is to keep the numbers high.
My family moved from the Midwest US to the East Coast. Both my wife's and my families live in the Midwest. We drive there regularly. We can easily drive the 1,000 miles in 15 hours, averaging 66.6666666667 mph. And that's with our van full of children. We drive through the night, and barely stop. Go out West, and you can make much better time.

While it would be very draining to keep this up for a month, it is certainly possible, theoretically.
mhrb likes this.
Old Apr 17, 20, 4:02 pm

I once put about 5.800 miles on a month rental from Avis. The car had 69 miles on it when I drove off the lot. No repercussions or grief from the company. What you are talking about doing will probably at least piss them off

Search this Thread
Search Engine: