FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What's the maximum XP points I can get to open the US-BoA AF Credit Card?
Old Apr 16, 2020, 11:53 pm
vinnyc

Programs: BA BAEC Gold (oW Emerald), AF/KLM FB Plat (ST E+), *Alliance Nada
Originally Posted by ericmc
as my understanding I can get 60XP after card approval, then I can get 20XP in one year, then 40XP more if I spend $15k in the same year. Let's say I spend more than $15k in the first year, then I can get 60XP(opening bonus)+20XP+40XP, which is 120XP, am I correct? Or, I could only gain 20XP+40XP in the second year? thanks.
Hi ericmc,

This is correct. You receive your 60XP typically around 3-5 business days after you were approved (assuming you provided correctly your Flying Blue number in your application). On the monthly statement corresponding to your first year anniversary, you will get at least 20XP, plus an additional 40XP if you have spent $15,000 or more during the year preceding your anniversary date, and so on every year.

Because the Flying Blue qualification is one year exactly [unless you just reached a new status, in which case you have until the end of the month of the anniversary date of reaching the new status], and considering that you get your BofA credit card anniversary XP only one or two days following the statement closing date, it is somehow unlikely that you can cumulate the full 120XP simultaneously during the same FB qualification period (it might happen if you receive your welcome 60XP the same day your qualification period starts and they credit you the anniversary 60XP one or two days in advance of your statement closing date) but very unlikely [again, if you are progressing from a new status recently obtained, the window is larger].

Therefore, if I understand your thinking correctly (from your other post where you are trying to become gold in one year), you should not count on the full 120XP to qualify for whichever status you are seeking to achieve, but only 60XP, in order to be safe.

Cheers,
vinnyc

Last edited by vinnyc; Apr 17, 2020 at 12:14 am