Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

What's the maximum XP points I can get to open the US-BoA AF Credit Card?

Old Apr 16, 20, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

as my understanding I can get 60XP after card approval, then I can get 20XP in one year, then 40XP more if I spend $15k in the same year. Let's say I spend more than $15k in the first year, then I can get 60XP(opening bonus)+20XP+40XP, which is 120XP, am I correct? Or, I could only gain 20XP+40XP in the second year? thanks.
Old Apr 16, 20, 11:53 pm

Programs: BA BAEC Gold (oW Emerald), AF/KLM FB Plat (ST E+), *Alliance Nada
Originally Posted by ericmc View Post
as my understanding I can get 60XP after card approval, then I can get 20XP in one year, then 40XP more if I spend $15k in the same year. Let's say I spend more than $15k in the first year, then I can get 60XP(opening bonus)+20XP+40XP, which is 120XP, am I correct? Or, I could only gain 20XP+40XP in the second year? thanks.
Hi ericmc,

This is correct. You receive your 60XP typically around 3-5 business days after you were approved (assuming you provided correctly your Flying Blue number in your application). On the monthly statement corresponding to your first year anniversary, you will get at least 20XP, plus an additional 40XP if you have spent $15,000 or more during the year preceding your anniversary date, and so on every year.

Because the Flying Blue qualification is one year exactly [unless you just reached a new status, in which case you have until the end of the month of the anniversary date of reaching the new status], and considering that you get your BofA credit card anniversary XP only one or two days following the statement closing date, it is somehow unlikely that you can cumulate the full 120XP simultaneously during the same FB qualification period (it might happen if you receive your welcome 60XP the same day your qualification period starts and they credit you the anniversary 60XP one or two days in advance of your statement closing date) but very unlikely [again, if you are progressing from a new status recently obtained, the window is larger].

Therefore, if I understand your thinking correctly (from your other post where you are trying to become gold in one year), you should not count on the full 120XP to qualify for whichever status you are seeking to achieve, but only 60XP, in order to be safe.

Cheers,
vinnyc

Last edited by vinnyc; Apr 17, 20 at 12:14 am
Old Apr 17, 20, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Originally Posted by vinnyc View Post
Therefore, if I understand your thinking correctly (from your other post where you are trying to become gold in one year), you should not count on the full 120XP to qualify for whichever status you are seeking to achieve, but only 60XP, in order to be safe.
Neither should he count on being able to earn many XPs by flying this year!
Old Apr 17, 20, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Hi ericmc,

This is correct. You receive your 60XP typically around 3-5 business days after you were approved (assuming you provided correctly your Flying Blue number in your application). On the monthly statement corresponding to your first year anniversary, you will get at least 20XP, plus an additional 40XP if you have spent $15,000 or more during the year preceding your anniversary date, and so on every year.

Because the Flying Blue qualification is one year exactly [[i]unless you just reached a new status, in which case you have until the end of the month of the anniversary date of reaching the new status], and considering that you get your BofA credit card anniversary XP only one or two days following the statement closing date, it is somehow unlikely that you can cumulate the full 120XP simultaneously during the same FB qualification period (it might happen if you receive your welcome 60XP the same day your qualification period starts and they credit you the anniversary 60XP one or two days in advance of your statement closing date) but very unlikely [[i]again, if you are progressing from a new status recently obtained, the window is larger].

Cheers,
vinnyc
Thank you, your points are very helpful. I'm scratching from 0, so I'm not sure if I should apply the CC now or wait later? I'm still confusing about how they calculate the time period, if I have my CC approved next week, would they credit me the 60xp welcome bonus in the same week or a week after? Which means my "game" starts right after right? Which means until around April 25, 2021, I would need to accumulate at least 40xp to get Silver, am I understand correctly? and if I want to archive Gold, same thing, i need get 220xp more until around April 25, 2021, right?
Old May 16, 20, 8:08 am

What if you could get both the Nl/Fr FB Platinum card and the BoA card - could you double up for 120 XPs?
Old May 17, 20, 4:27 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum / Marriott Gold / Hilton Gold / IHG Platinum ... A former AA Platinum
Originally Posted by erik123 View Post
What if you could get both the Nl/Fr FB Platinum card and the BoA card - could you double up for 120 XPs?
Yes, I am a dual resident of FR and the US, and i got XPs from my BofA card, and I get the XPs yearly from the gold Amex.
Old May 20, 20, 10:34 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by erik123 View Post
Something to think about: if you already have status and your goal is to maintain it, I would wait until next year since this year FB retains status irrespective of XPs collected. If you want to advance in status the CCs can help, but then it should be questioned if you have so much use for the better status with the lower overall flight activity.
Old Jul 24, 20, 8:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP G, CZ *G, UA *S, AC *S, Hilton D, Marriott T, IHG S
How about getting two or three BOA FR/KLM cards? Will it give you 120XP or 180XP?
Old Aug 11, 20, 10:17 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP, Delta Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by sSSspidermanNNn View Post
How about getting two or three BOA FR/KLM cards? Will it give you 120XP or 180XP?
The TOC of the application says:

Bonus Miles and XP Offer. You will qualify for 50,000 bonus miles if you use your new credit card account to make any combination of purchase transactions totaling at least $2,000 (exclusive of any fees, including the annual fee, returns and adjustments) that post to your account within 90 days of the account open date. Receive 60 XP upon account opening. Limit one opening of account XP bonus per Flying Blue member. This one-time promotion is limited to customers opening a new account in response to this offer and will not apply to requests to convert existing accounts.

Doesn't look like you could get 120XP for opening two new accounts, but it also doesn't really speak to whether or not you could get 120XP through spend on the anniversary.
Old Aug 13, 20, 4:04 pm

Programs: BA BAEC Gold (oW Emerald), AF/KLM FB Plat (ST E+), *Alliance Nada
Originally Posted by sSSspidermanNNn View Post

Originally Posted by socalgecko View Post

Bonus Miles and XP Offer. [...] . Limit one opening of account XP bonus per Flying Blue member. This one-time promotion is limited to customers opening a new account in response to this offer and will not apply to requests to convert existing accounts.

Doesn't look like you could get 120XP for opening two new accounts, but it also doesn't really speak to whether or not you could get 120XP through spend on the anniversary.

Not sure how you can open two BoA personal cards anyway. Is it even possible? You can open a personal credit card account and a business credit card account whenever it is offered (for example the NL AF-KLM American Express cards) that are both tied to the same rewards/frequent flyer program account. But in the case of the BoA AF-KLM, the business version doesn't exist to my knowledge.

It seems illogical to me that credit card companies don't have a mechanism to scan all their accounts to check whether it is the same account holder. In the U.S., you need to provide your SSN for a credit check, so it's easy to flag if there is already an existing account associated to the applicant. Otherwise, anyone can apply and open multiples of the same credit card. Maybe it is possible after all, but you shouldn't count on getting multiple bonus.

Now, if sSSspidermanNNn is talking about having simultaneously a (1) U.S. BofA AF-KLM credit card, (2) a FR AF-KLM Amex charge card and (3) a NL AF-KLM Amex charge card, the answer is yes, and you can cumulate 180XP per year, although it can be costly ($89 + 600 + 600).

Cheers
vinnyc
Old Dec 1, 20, 1:31 am

Not sure how you can open two BoA personal cards anyway. Is it even possible? You can open a personal credit card account and a business credit card account whenever it is offered (for example the NL AF-KLM American Express cards) that are both tied to the same rewards/frequent flyer program account. But in the case of the BoA AF-KLM, the business version doesn't exist to my knowledge.

It seems illogical to me that credit card companies don't have a mechanism to scan all their accounts to check whether it is the same account holder. In the U.S., you need to provide your SSN for a credit check, so it's easy to flag if there is already an existing account associated to the applicant. Otherwise, anyone can apply and open multiples of the same credit card. Maybe it is possible after all, but you shouldn't count on getting multiple bonus.

Now, if sSSspidermanNNn is talking about having simultaneously a (1) U.S. BofA AF-KLM credit card, (2) a FR AF-KLM Amex charge card and (3) a NL AF-KLM Amex charge card, the answer is yes, and you can cumulate 180XP per year, although it can be costly ($89 + 600 + 600).

Cheers
vinnyc

Yes. BOA allows multiple of the same cards for a person. Some cards have different limitations. But this card doesn't have such limit.
Old Dec 1, 20, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by socalgecko View Post

Bonus Miles and XP Offer. You will qualify for 50,000 bonus miles if you use your new credit card account to make any combination of purchase transactions totaling at least $2,000 (exclusive of any fees, including the annual fee, returns and adjustments) that post to your account within 90 days of the account open date. Receive 60 XP upon account opening. Limit one opening of account XP bonus per Flying Blue member. This one-time promotion is limited to customers opening a new account in response to this offer and will not apply to requests to convert existing accounts.

OK. The terms are very clear. I was just wondering whether anyone has tested it out.
Old Dec 1, 20, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
Neither should he count on being able to earn many XPs by flying this year!
Why not?

All that requires is to fly, which can be less convenient and more of a hassle than it used to be, but is perfectly doable for any hale person wishes to, and does not happen to be the unfortunate victim of a harsh lockdown. Even those don't last forever.

Johan
Old Dec 3, 20, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Originally Posted by johan rebel View Post
Why not?
Because it's a very rare and precious individual who managed to increase their flying in 2020 over 2019, or indeed over any representative year in their recent past!

However, as I'm sure you well know, my advice to the OP back in April was intended as being that s/he should NOT acquire a credit card for the purpose of the few XPs it brings, if they couldn't then reach the Gold status threshold by acquiring the relevant number of additional XPs by other means, i.e. flying. As you will see, my response was to specific comment in which the poster to whom I replied indicated an assumption that reaching Gold was the entire focus of this question. If the OP's true goal was indeed to reach Gold, and given that they were very concerned about just how many XPs they could get by not flying, you will see that it is not so unusual to already detect a reluctance on the part of the OP to actually accumulate many/any XPs by actually flying. On the basis of the OP's apparent location, and the fact that the subsequent doubling of XPs offered in FB does not apply to Delta flights, the OP would have been required to do at least 16 domestic sectors, even after "maxing" out their credit card spend.
miles4CDG likes this.
Old Dec 19, 20, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, AA LT PLT 2mm, TP Gold *G
My annual BofA 20XP points posted in October (sadly just before my October FB account year end but that's another story).
Can I now earn any more XP points by spending more? Minimum spend threshold for extra XPs after the first year?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: