FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Feasibility of Renaming China Airlines to Taiwan Airlines?
Old Apr 13, 2020, 12:03 am
username
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eclipsed830
I don't think most people really identify culturally as Chinese anymore either... At least people my age see the culture of modern China and identify very little with that generalized culture. I see more of a connection, both culturally and emotionally to Japan or even SE Asian countries and to a lesser extent western places. My wife is Vietnamese, so at our house we practice the Vietnamese cultural traditions, most of which are similar to the Chinese traditions, should we just call everything Chinese now?
I see what you are saying. My understanding is that a lot of other Asian countries resent the "Chinese chauvinism" where some Chinese say "they all came from China anyway". I just did not expect the new generation in Taiwan to be like this already.

It is kind of sad and surprising that a lot of the young people in Taiwan feel they are more Japanese than Chinese when they speak the Chinese language/dialect, practice the culture and religion... (For the older generation who grew up under Japanese rule, it is totally understandable.) This probably also explains the need for the DPP to de-China everything.