Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

The Feasibility of Renaming China Airlines to Taiwan Airlines?

The Feasibility of Renaming China Airlines to Taiwan Airlines?

Old Apr 11, 20, 2:17 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 9,511
Question The Feasibility of Renaming China Airlines to Taiwan Airlines?

This is obviously political and hopefully we can try to discuss without getting too political.

Over the years, some people in Taiwan have wanted to rename China Airlines to Taiwan Airlines. The reason given is that people will think it is from Mainland China - and plenty of people confused CI with CA.

For those who don't know, Taiwan's official name is Republic of China. It is the Original Chinese Republic. The PRC is not. The earlier generations were taught Taiwan and Mainland are together - and officially both sides claim they own each other (just not in reality and the bigger side has the louder voice).

As the political environment shifted and the younger generation is taught Taiwan is Taiwan, China is China and anything "China" is bad, it seems this voice is getting louder.

Now, again, given Taiwan's success so far (things can go south any time as the government warns) with COVID-19 and the international exposure it gets on this (donations using CI freighters, dispute with the WHO, etc.), the "renaming China Airlines" movement is getting louder again. https://udn.com/news/story/6656/4485067

What are your thoughts? What is your prediction?

Oh, there was a Taiwan Airways but I think that was bought and eventually merged into UNIAir/EVA.
ProleOnParole likes this.
username is offline  
Old Apr 11, 20, 6:00 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: All Over
Programs: DL Plat, AA Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Dia, CC Gold, Avis President's Club
Posts: 529
Last time I was on the phone with Delta‘s global ticketing department booking a CI award ticket, even though I kept calling it China Airlines they kept referring to it as “China Eastern”. I gave up trying to correct her. 🤨
jdawg is offline  
Old Apr 11, 20, 8:38 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: SJC, TPE, TYO, DXB
Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, JPMPB, US/JP Centurion
Posts: 180
As a Taiwanese ROC Citizen I support this. Not because I think that China Airlines is incorrect, but because of the confusion with Air China and the majority of the world not recognizing the Republic of China as a sovereign state but recognizing the Taiwan Region as a de facto state.

Taiwan Airlines 台灣航空公司 would be a good option, keeping the same colors but perhaps refreshing the outdated livery stripes as it has been the same for over 20 years.

Other potential names they could consider would be Formosa Airlines, their subsidiary Mandarin Airlines 華信航空, or maybe Dynasty Airlines 華夏航空.

A name change and livery change would be great, as the airline is in dire need of a refresh. Also they should also update their poor service and J amenities compared to their fellow EVA Air.

On a side note Alaska Airlines should also be renamed Washington Airlines.

Last edited by cce5858; Apr 11, 20 at 8:44 pm
cce5858 is offline  
Old Apr 11, 20, 9:33 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,516
I love CI's livery, and don't want to see it changed, even if the name got changed.
Mama is offline  
Old Apr 11, 20, 10:46 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 9,511
Originally Posted by cce5858 View Post
...
Taiwan Airlines 台灣航空公司 would be a good option, keeping the same colors but perhaps refreshing the outdated livery stripes as it has been the same for over 20 years.

Other potential names they could consider would be Formosa Airlines, their subsidiary Mandarin Airlines 華信航空, or maybe Dynasty Airlines 華夏航空.
...
I wonder if calling it Mandarin or Dynasty will be an acceptable political compromise. In the age of de-China everything in Taiwan, that probably won't fly anyway. This anti-China thing is only going to get stronger as the older generation ages and, I think after COVID-19, more doors are opened for Taiwan internationally.

I personally think they should not change it as that is confusing too. Some of us still think Taiwan is more Chinese than Mainland China - the traditional Chinese, the Confucius culture, etc. "China" is really not a bad word. However, if they go through the hassle to change it, then they should just use Taiwan. I don't think using Formosa is a good idea - why use a Portuguese word to reflect the colonial period (but others of course view the post-1949 Mainlanders as colonists).

I actually love the CI logo and livery. I think it looks better than EVA's. Does EVA still own the name Taiwan Airways because it merged into UNI?
username is offline  
Old Apr 11, 20, 11:27 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: LAS TPE HND LHR
Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Posts: 5,412
I would love the airline renamed as Taiwan Airlines, but realistically it is impossible (at least until a lot more people die off).

Originally Posted by Mama View Post
I love CI's livery, and don't want to see it changed, even if the name got changed.
Also a fan of the CI livery, although my absolute favorite was the hybrid Boeing livery that used to be on B-18210.
gengar is offline  
Old Apr 12, 20, 6:47 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: The Land of the Rising Yen
Posts: 27
How about "ROC Air"? Kinda catchy...
kumagoro is offline  
Old Apr 12, 20, 7:25 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,516
Originally Posted by kumagoro View Post
How about "ROC Air"? Kinda catchy...
Taiwan ROC Air

Last edited by Mama; Apr 12, 20 at 7:39 am
Mama is offline  
Old Apr 12, 20, 7:50 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Nomadic; Asia
Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Posts: 1,862
Originally Posted by kumagoro View Post
How about "ROC Air"? Kinda catchy...
ROC also enjoys the advantage of connotation with a mythical bird.
Amelorn is online now  
Old Apr 12, 20, 11:45 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: TPE<->SFO
Posts: 98
It should have happened 30 years ago... I don't know a single person here in Taiwan my age that even considers themselves to be "Chinese".
Aerospatiale and chemengin like this.
Eclipsed830 is offline  
Old Apr 12, 20, 1:32 pm
  #11  
m.y
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC *E HHonors Gold
Posts: 754
Renamed China airlines would lose brand value it has created over the years and more importantly it may lose traffic rights to many countries, and it would definitely lose rights to fly to HKG, MFM and mainland, and overflight rights over mainland that would cause detours for European flights.
m.y is offline  
Old Apr 12, 20, 9:57 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: TPE<->SFO
Posts: 98
Originally Posted by m.y View Post
Renamed China airlines would lose brand value it has created over the years and more importantly it may lose traffic rights to many countries, and it would definitely lose rights to fly to HKG, MFM and mainland, and overflight rights over mainland that would cause detours for European flights.
If China Airlines has brand value, this wouldn't even be a conversation. I don't think it would lose any traffic rights, otherwise Chinese airlines would be equally cut from Taiwan.
Eclipsed830 is offline  
Old Apr 12, 20, 10:29 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 9,511
Originally Posted by Eclipsed830 View Post
It should have happened 30 years ago... I don't know a single person here in Taiwan my age that even considers themselves to be "Chinese".
Right, those went to school after the DPP changed the textbooks in the early 2000s no longer think the setup as "one split country - Mainland and Taiwan".

I am curious about this line of thinking. I think there is the language ambiguity since "China" can mean PRC the country or Chinese the culture/ethnicity. In Taiwan, I don't hear people making the distinction when a lot of overseas and non-Taiwanese Chinese communities (e.g. SE Asia) use the more neutral term for the culture/ethnicity (i.e. 華人 vs. 中國人).

If you don't identify culturally as Chinese, how do you explain the customs, religion, language, etc. in Taiwan?

Originally Posted by Eclipsed830 View Post
If China Airlines has brand value, this wouldn't even be a conversation. I don't think it would lose any traffic rights, otherwise Chinese airlines would be equally cut from Taiwan.
I don't think it is fair to say CI has no brand value. This move is purely political.

Do we really want to risk going back to the old days when people had to fly through HKG and MFM between Taiwan and Mainland? A 90 minute TSA-SHA trip turns into a whole day activity again?

Would CI/BR want to risk losing all the Mainland routes and give the business to other carriers?
username is offline  
Old Apr 12, 20, 10:43 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: TPE<->SFO
Posts: 98
Originally Posted by username View Post
Right, those went to school after the DPP changed the textbooks in the early 2000s no longer think the setup as "one split country - Mainland and Taiwan".

I am curious about this line of thinking. I think there is the language ambiguity since "China" can mean PRC the country or Chinese the culture/ethnicity. In Taiwan, I don't hear people making the distinction when a lot of overseas and non-Taiwanese Chinese communities (e.g. SE Asia) use the more neutral term for the culture/ethnicity (i.e. 華人 vs. 中國人).

If you don't identify culturally as Chinese, how do you explain the customs, religion, language, etc. in Taiwan?
I don't think most people really identify culturally as Chinese anymore either... At least people my age see the culture of modern China and identify very little with that generalized culture. I see more of a connection, both culturally and emotionally to Japan or even SE Asian countries and to a lesser extent western places. My wife is Vietnamese, so at our house we practice the Vietnamese cultural traditions, most of which are similar to the Chinese traditions, should we just call everything Chinese now?

As far as brand image, I think China Airlines (although better recently) has the reputation of planes falling from the sky or people reminding other people online that China Airlines isn't from China. 😅
Eclipsed830 is offline  
Old Apr 13, 20, 12:03 am
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 9,511
Originally Posted by Eclipsed830 View Post
I don't think most people really identify culturally as Chinese anymore either... At least people my age see the culture of modern China and identify very little with that generalized culture. I see more of a connection, both culturally and emotionally to Japan or even SE Asian countries and to a lesser extent western places. My wife is Vietnamese, so at our house we practice the Vietnamese cultural traditions, most of which are similar to the Chinese traditions, should we just call everything Chinese now?
I see what you are saying. My understanding is that a lot of other Asian countries resent the "Chinese chauvinism" where some Chinese say "they all came from China anyway". I just did not expect the new generation in Taiwan to be like this already.

It is kind of sad and surprising that a lot of the young people in Taiwan feel they are more Japanese than Chinese when they speak the Chinese language/dialect, practice the culture and religion... (For the older generation who grew up under Japanese rule, it is totally understandable.) This probably also explains the need for the DPP to de-China everything.
username is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: