FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic COVID-19 Cancellations and related issues
Old Apr 9, 2020, 10:14 am
mattp1987

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by waterandwoods
I've got a flight in early May booked with Virgin Atlantic points on DL metal. The direct DL flight I had booked has been cancelled and I was automatically rebooked on a connecting flight that leaves 5+ hours earlier. I need to completely cancel as the honeymoon this flight has been booked for has to be postponed until May of 2021.

I tried texting Virgin Atlantic to cancel and after almost 3 days they finally responded -- at 4:49am local time here. I was sleeping and missed the text and apparently the window to respond was only an hour or so so I've got to start the process all over BUT when they responded they said they would refund the 100,000 miles but that taxes couldn't be refunded because there is a $50 change fee. Does this seem correct? The taxes aren't much and honestly I'm ok with losing them if its a hassle, but just wanted to check if this the way it should be. I think I'll try calling next time because of the poor experience with texting.
Any flight to or from the US falls under DOT jurisdiction (and possibly others for the country you're flying to/from), and here is what they have to say.

Cancelled Flight – A passenger is entitled to a refund if the airline cancelled a flight, regardless of the reason, and the passenger chooses not to be rebooked on a new flight on that airline.
Source: https://www.transportation.gov/indiv...ection/refunds