FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flight refund options [Consolidated thread]
Old Apr 8, 2020, 1:58 pm
meade18

Originally Posted by woolfson
YES. YOU ARE ENTITLED TO A REFUND IF YOU DISAGREE WITH THE NEW FLIGHTS. PERIOD. THEY UNILATERALLY CHANGED THE TERMS OF YOUR CONTRACT. You can write a certified letter demanding a refund. And cc: the department of transportation.

If you don't get a refund, file a small claims lawsuit.
Feel free to use the example:
http://customer.files49.com/private/alaska3.pdf
Since I can't get a hold of anyone at Chase, I did a little more research and it looks like AA will probably view this as a schedule change and not a cancellation. However, I just found this posted today:
https://onemileatatime.com/american-..._change_policy
The gist is that American Airlines will only provide refunds to customers when schedule changes result in an overall delay of more than four hours, or when a customer goes from being booked on a nonstop, to being booked an itinerary with a connection. The prior policy was 2 hours. I booked under the prior policy.

The bad news for me is that my flight out of town was not changed by 2 hours on the departure or arrival side. And my new return flight arrives 1 hour and 56 minutes earlier than my original return flight. The good news for me is that my new return flight departure is leaving 2 hours and 18 minutes earlier than my original booking. If they use the words "overall delay" to mean arrival time, they are probably going to try and deny my refund. But I think I still have a case since my departure time was changed by over 2 hours.

I can't find any way to send an email or secure message to Chase Travel, so I'm not really sure the best way to go about requesting a refund. When I check on the AA site, it says "Due to the status of your itinerary we are unable to complete your refund request. Your itinerary needs to be cancelled prior to requesting a refund. Please click here to cancel your reservation and return here to submit your request. You may also contact AA Reservations at 1-800-433-7300 or your Travel Agency to cancel." I guess I need to call AA and sit on hold and see what the CSR says. If I don't get a good one, I'll just have to hang up and call again. Anyone have any other ideas?