FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Economy Web Special" Award (dynamic price, fewer miles, more restrictions Oct 2018)
Old Apr 7, 2020, 5:30 am
JJeffrey
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by firemandan9
Is it possible to book a business class web special award Multi-City? Lots of good Asia fares right now and some of them require round trip travel but I'd like to fly open jaw into Asia.

I can't get the old award booking engine to show business class web special. Call center can't touch web-special awards. I can't figure out how to get the new tool to do multi-city. Is this just not possible?

Two one-ways price higher and will have a higher redeposit fee if needed.
If the web special award "price" that you want is only available roundtrip, then it's only available roundtrip. You cannot get the more favorable price as a one-way or multi-city booking. Roundtrip awards offering lower prices than booking one-ways is a very new offering of AA.

And as you've found out, web specials cannot be booked by phone agents, web support, or anyone else, they can only be booked online.

You essentially have 3 options, if you can tell us exactly how many miles each option would cost below then we can give recommendations on which looks the best:

1) Book the roundtrip web special award for lower miles, even if one way isn't the exact city you want to fly in/out of. Just book a separate ticket(s) to fill in the gap.

2) Book separate one-way web special awards if the pricing is still better and only showing up using the "new" search. If you cancel the redeposit fee would only be an additional $25 booking this way.

3) Book a multi-city booking using the old search at whatever higher award prices that search is offering. It will cost more miles but you'll get the exact flights you want on the same reservation.