FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Avios Cancellations
View Single Post
Old Apr 4, 2020, 4:27 pm
AJA_

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Just phone them up. They have disabled the refund option for all sorts of flights. Its actually a good thing as it protects many people from making rash decsions and losing a lot of money by trying to cancel flights beause they no longer want to go but that have not been cancelled by BA. A voucher for them (as it was for me with one trip) is better than what they would get by just canceling.

No one is trying to steal anything from you (and it's shameful to suggest that in the first place).
The OP is asking about cancelling an Avios booking which under normal circumstances is fully flexible apart from a handling fee of £35 per passenger.

in your case a voucher is better, and I am pleased for you, but it's not better for the OP with an Avios booking.

The fact that BA has removed the ability to cancel an Avios booking online is actually causing more work for customers and for its Customer Service teams by forcing more people to clog up the phone lines in order to get a refund. It may suit BA as it protects their cash balances but it's debatable whether it is in the customers' interest.

OP just phone up and cancel. I hope the CS team doesn't hang up on you because it's not within 72 hours of your flight.