Wiki Posts
Search

Avios Cancellations

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2020, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Avios Cancellations

I am confused. I am trying to cancel my Avios booked tickets to South Africa in July. I just want my points refunded to my account. I keep getting a firm to fill out for a voucher. Does this mean they will not refund to my account? I can’t bypass it.

Thank you. I could not find an answer I understand on the site.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Instead of the usual refund form BA are trying to steal your money by forcing this voucher page in the hope they can overcharge your for a future booking or the voucher expires. BA would really like this unsecured interest-free cash loan from you to shore up its finances, despite not offering you anything in return.

On Head For Points there’s an article to bypass this, or failing that you can call up for the refund you’re entitled to.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 1:42 pm

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Yes, ever since this started the ability to cancel avios bookings online disappeared. There has been a workaround published which may or may not work otherwise you need to call. Look in the wiki at the top of this thread: Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*
Old Apr 4, 2020, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

So I can’t cancel an Avios ticket online? Why would they benefit from a voucher booking? Are they just saying I have to use my Avios within a year? My only cash outlay is the cancelation cost.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Just phone them up. They have disabled the refund option for all sorts of flights. Its actually a good thing as it protects many people from making rash decsions and losing a lot of money by trying to cancel flights beause they no longer want to go but that have not been cancelled by BA. A voucher for them (as it was for me with one trip) is better than what they would get by just canceling.

No one is trying to steal anything from you (and it's shameful to suggest that in the first place).
Hawk777, Will100 and weirdfish like this.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 2:24 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Larkin
So I can’t cancel an Avios ticket online? Why would they benefit from a voucher booking? Are they just saying I have to use my Avios within a year? My only cash outlay is the cancelation cost.
Did you try the javascript workaround in the wiki of the thread vintagepilot kindly posted?

If that doesn't work you have to call to do the cancellation, you will get a full refund of avios and the taxes & fees. Don't go down the voucher route.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your help. I never meant to imply anyone was stealing, my Avios just that I wanted my Avios re deposited and did not want them committed to the same flights via a voucher within the year. I will call as suggested if the java script doesn’t work. I did not realize Avios flights could no longer be cancelled online. Thank you.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh you didn't but post 2 made the shameful allegation that BA was trying to steal from people

I would just call them and forget about the workaround. The phone lines are no longer as manic as tey were and I got through in minutes earlier this week (and no pressure from the agent to take a voucher)
argonath likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 2:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

No one is trying to steal anything from you (and it's shameful to suggest that in the first place).
BA have disabled the ability to claim online a refund on cancelled flights and only offer a voucher. The only other option is to call and we are told not to call unless the flight is within 72 hours...I understand why BA have done this, but it's certainly not in the customers best interest
Old Apr 4, 2020, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I and others have said the call volumes are no longer what they were.

I am grateful I was offered the voucher because my flight wasn't cancelled (but other arrangments were so making the flight moot were). Better to have a voucher for £260 than the £30 odd I would have got back in the taxes and airport fees less the admin fee if I had just cancelled.

A voucher is certainly in many customers best interests where the flight was not cancelled but the customer chose not to fly. I've not seen BA deny anyone a refund for a flight that BA have cancelled that has called up

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Apr 4, 2020 at 3:09 pm
Old Apr 4, 2020, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by englisha
BA have disabled the ability to claim online a refund on cancelled flights and only offer a voucher. The only other option is to call and we are told not to call unless the flight is within 72 hours...I understand why BA have done this, but it's certainly not in the customers best interest
Disgusting.

Cue Navylad...
ScienceTeacher and mikeyfly like this.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 4:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Just phone them up. They have disabled the refund option for all sorts of flights. Its actually a good thing as it protects many people from making rash decsions and losing a lot of money by trying to cancel flights beause they no longer want to go but that have not been cancelled by BA. A voucher for them (as it was for me with one trip) is better than what they would get by just canceling.

The OP is asking about cancelling an Avios booking which under normal circumstances is fully flexible apart from a handling fee of £35 per passenger.

in your case a voucher is better, and I am pleased for you, but it's not better for the OP with an Avios booking.

The fact that BA has removed the ability to cancel an Avios booking online is actually causing more work for customers and for its Customer Service teams by forcing more people to clog up the phone lines in order to get a refund. It may suit BA as it protects their cash balances but it's debatable whether it is in the customers' interest.

OP just phone up and cancel. I hope the CS team doesn't hang up on you because it's not within 72 hours of your flight.
allturnleft likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 5:22 pm

Does anyone know what actually happens when you go through with the voucher option for an Avios booking? Will they issue a voucher for the taxes and eventually refund the Avios anyway?

Avios and a voucher for Avios should be exactly the same thing on their balance sheet, so I don't think it should make a difference...
Old Apr 4, 2020, 6:41 pm

Ohh I wonder if you get a voucher for Avios booking, what it says. If you can it to rebook can you choose any date? - non Anios availibility. Will you get tier points and Avios? I have a whole load of Avios CW bookings from June onwards. I guess for now wait and see is my best plan.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 8:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold
If my avios ticket has been cancelled, can I request to be rerouted instead?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.