FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does COVID-19 mean historic changes to passenger health checks
Old Apr 4, 2020, 3:36 am
crazy8534

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk

Just like 9/11 we implemented rules that are a pain for frequent flyers but they save lives.

Should we now consider measures for air travel to prevent epidemics?

I’d be keen to hear thoughts on this.
I completely agree there will be long-term changes. I am inclined to say that much of what happens in this field has lots to do with reassurance and less to do with the evidence-base. There will be no precision-engineered subtle alterations, expect a shotgun-approach!

Guessing, I would say some of:
1. Measures designed to deal with infection: travellers probably having to sign a disclaimer to say that they have not had a fever or new cough in the past X number of days. Random or all-encompassing temperature checks at security.
2. Hygiene: changes to the way food is served on board, possibly no more free-pour drinks (although if that means individual bottles of DP who am I to complain?!), big changes to airport lounges- I could see free buffet never making a comeback. I could see many non-airline affiliated lounges closing and the big airlines consolidating their offerings.
3. Transfer/immigration: big changes to how easy it is to change planes at airports or buy/take flights with multiple connections- I think this will have a big impact on the mileage runners.