FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Virtual Visit - support thread
View Single Post
Old Apr 3, 2020, 8:32 am
AlwaysAisle

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Japanese Curry

I was not planning to post this, because I am not a cook. But now stuck at home, nothing to do, and start pretending to be a cook.... Decided to make Japanese curry, but not from scratch, obviously. initial thought was this does not belong to this thread because I am not doing "real cooking", but...

Obviously, I used pre-packaged, pre-made store bought curry rue or curry block. Told you I am not a cook!

Ingredients are: beef, potato, carrot, and onion.

What I do is that I want onion to remain crunchy and potato to remain in shape rather than all mashed up.

First saute beef in a pot. Optional salt, pepper, ground cumin seed, ground nutmeg, and powdered turmeric as saute beef. Can also use curry powder instead.

Add water to the pot, simmer the content to tender the meat. For beef I usually simmer for 1 - 1.5 hrs. Optional to add bay leaf (laurel) during summering.

Adjust the water in the pot to the appropriate amount as indicated on the package of curry rue. Add carrots and simmer another 20-30 min. to cook carrots.
Same time on separate pan saute cut onions. Again, option to flavor onions, saute till desire consistency (for me I like onions to remain little crunchy).

Turn off heat on the pot, add curry rue or curry block. Stir till curry block dissolve completely.
Then add sauted onions an uncooked cut potatoes.
Simmer for another 10 min, or so till potatoes are cooked.
Curry is done.

As for rice, yes key ingredient of Japanese curry!, I am not try to make Japanese rice in a pot. I was told to learn to cook Japanese rice in a pot is one of difficult task in Japanese cooking. I simply use rice cooker, reliable. Told you I am not a cook.

On a plate my style is place curry and rice side by side, not curry over rice. Another key ingredient, fukujinzuke (福神漬け), I think it is another key ingredient for Japanese curry.

As far as I am concerned, it is as good as CoCo Ichibanya.