FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic COVID-19 Cancellations and related issues
Old Apr 2, 2020, 12:14 pm
vinnmann

Originally Posted by 36902BRF
Nope payment takes place after you fly. So if VS goes belly up prior to you flying, Delta will likely not let you fly. And simply put most likely if VS goes belly up your points are worthless. Your points are actually held by a separate entity from VS but it likely isn't funded enough to keep the program running post VS collapse if it happens. All that said Delta does own a chunk of VS and their separate loyalty program so it is possible they might honor the flights but I wouldn't bet on it.
I was afraid that might be the case. Hopefully with DL, VS, AF & KL all in bed together they find a way to make it through this even if there is some shrinkage. Currently, I booked my outbound with VS miles and the return (not convenient flights) on LO with Aeroplan miles. I want to cancel the LO flights and book the return on DL with VS miles. However, in order to do that, I would have to transfer 100k Membership Rewards points. I am hesitant to do this as that would increase my potential exposure to a loss of miles. I am more confident that Amex will be around after this, but I am sure a few airlines will not, so it would be better to keep them in the Membership Rewards bank.