FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions
Old Mar 21, 2020, 12:40 pm
ExplorerWannabe

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jmastron
I agree that striking the right cost/benefit is critical, but I will note that from what I can google, both South Korea and Japan have closed their schools and universities, right? What are the other key differences (besides testing) in the South Korea/Japan approach vs, say California's? I'm genuinely looking for a detailed comparison because I want to understand, not at all doubting anyone.

It does seem that reducing density of contact overall, widespread testing, and widespread wearing some form of protective masks (not mainly to protect you but to reduce statistical spread), can all work together for a big benefit. Unfortunately in the US we can't yet do the latter 2, so have to bias more toward the first one, despite its large economic cost.
Originally Posted by trueblu
I'm with you on this one...
But in the US we DO have a history of neckerchiefs, particularly in the West ...

Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
Without the masks, then the US will need more distancing in densely populated areas and standard social distancing in other areas. But schools will need to remain closed everywhere through the end of the spring semester. Classrooms are the most socially un-distant setting we have in many suburban and rural areas without weddings, meetings, and sporting events going on. We cannot just reopen them for two weeks at the end of the year. They probably will reopen for events like AP exams where they can be proctored at 5 students per room instead of 20.

But if we all just wash our hands and assume that every table, armrest, and doorknob could be infected because the last person who was there coughed on it and was not wearing a mask. So my hope is handwashing can make up for some of the lack of masks except possibly if someone in the household is sick or if you travel in full airplanes and subways or congregate in large groups, but handwashing can make up for it in other settings.

And a scarf is better than nothing at all. But I get triggered when anyone in the US says that masks don't work. Their opinion would be different if every household had a box of masks.
The silver lining I hope to get out of all this is better personal hygiene. Always used to irritate me seeing grown adults use the restroom and then leave without washing their hands. Thankfully haven't seen that in the past couple of weeks ...