FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which are the airlines most likely to go under in the coming 3 months?
Old Mar 20, 2020, 7:04 am
mrmoo

Programs: Marriot Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I'm on the other end of the scale here. There were some exceptions, but for the most part the ULCC model seems to be about playing stupid games to suppress the headline price, and was quite focused on leisure travel. I suspect you might see some cases of tourist-heavy areas trying to arrange something, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it comes at the price of killing their business models. The biggest uphill climb for the ULCCs to get support (at least in Europe) might well be environmental pressures...there's a case that the virus will simply be the stick that's used to club them.

And I confess that I won't be sorry to see them go. I'm on the other end of the spectrum, however...to the extent that there's an environmental crisis that needs solving by reducing travel, I'd take the opposite view of that ULCC executive who argued for banning Business Class and argue that zapping cheap fares is the more sensible solution.
I'm not defending ULCCs, I don't fly them myself, but if you start bailing out one airline you almost have to help all of them. Their business model works because people will suffer for a lower price, supply and demand has spoken and ULCCs are a successful business (when travel is possible, that is).

You want to curb environmental impact from travel? Killing business class, killing rewards programs (why incentive more travel?) and imposing higher CO2 offset taxes would likely have the greatest impact, but that's not realistic right now, I don't think.