Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Which are the airlines most likely to go under in the coming 3 months?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: some

From the BBC:
Forecasts by the research firm Centre for Aviation now predict that most airlines in the world will be bankrupt by the end of May unless they receive financial support.

Like many of you I have many thousands of dollars worth of miles spread across different airlines. I was thinking about booking flights now (say 11 months out) but obviously the airlines you'd book with would still need to exist then.
So, which of the major airlines do you feel are most immediately at risk?
HGPilot likes this.

Last edited by Fliar; Mar 18, 2020 at 1:43 am
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:59 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Most or all of them. Currently cash outgoings are vastly in excess of cash incomings, and this isn't likely to change in the short-term absent shareholder capital injection and/or government bailout.

Fortunately airlines remain an essential service in most parts of the world so inevitably some / many / most will eventually get financial help to continue and restore normal operations when they can safely do so.
Redhead and rabbott like this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 3:30 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Most of the airlines impacted by travel bans in their home and bread and butter markets are going to struggle big time in the absence of government intervention of some sort or another.

I would be amazed if Norwegian makes it without a government bailout of some sort or another. Some of their flying to repatriate people to Norway may help with laying the groundwork to be included in a bailout.

Governments driving interest rates down toward zero (or even negative) may help keep some airlines alive in the more advanced economies of the world, but that kind of approach just wouldn't be possible everywhere and it only sort of works to deal with the capital costs of the equipment. But still then there is the labor and other variable costs for the airlines to also cover. Even with massive layoffs, the airlines face labor costs from the layoffs ... at least under many current circumstances.

Airbus and Boeing and their legion of suppliers are also going to get nailed by the current environment.

There is a reason that so much market capitalization has been wiped out by the decline of financial markets in the past several weeks and become more extreme in the past several days. A lot of firms and their employees are going to be struggling until there is confidence that the coronavirus situation is under control and not a great risk anymore and people get back to more historically normal behavior patterns.
Fliar likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Much depends upon the country of domicile of the airline in question. Some countries will spend whatever it takes to bail out their airlines, others will allow them to go bankrupt and then give them cash to keep services operating. I don't know if there are any out there which own their own fleet, rather than lease many or most of their planes, but they would be in relatively better shape, if debt is under control.

I'm not so worried about FF miles - the programs will have huge value in bringing customers back as airlines restart flying, whenever that may be.
Fliar and cscasi like this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 10:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I do not believe that global carriers with a business travel backbone will be permitted to fail. What arises may be far from what one sees now and it may be a bit harder for a carrier to justify lounges and Krug when part of the bill has been or is footed by taxpayers, but the fact is that commerce will demand it.

Leisure carriers and routes are a bit different because the government incentive is destination oriented. E.g. places where tourism generates a goodly part of the local economy will press their national governments to act.
Fliar and mmff like this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Airbus and Boeing and their legion of suppliers are also going to get nailed by the current environment.
Boeing way more than Airbus. Airbus has 16 billion Euros in cash reserves and spends 5.5 billion per month, so they can afford to stay afloat for a while without government backing even with customers essentially having stopped all payments.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
An IATA report referenced here suggests most airlines will run out of cash by May.
Fliar likes this.

Last edited by southlondonphil; Mar 17, 2020 at 12:49 pm Reason: Unable to link to original source due to paywall/sharing limitations
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:58 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Didn't the Italian government nationalise Alitalia?
I don't think any of the big mid Eastern airlines or SQ will go under.
But I think all governments have to come together and freeze or force everyone to freeze everything. That includes the banks and leasing companies etc.
Fliar likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by southlondonphil
An IATA report referenced here suggests most airlines will run out of cash by May.
The report is painting a grim picture indeed.
It´s available in full on the IATA website here: https://www.iata.org/globalassets/ia...ity-crisis.pdf.
Fliar likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 4:51 pm

I think the answer you're looking for is Norwegian.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 4:56 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AS, UA, AA, TWA, PAN AM, PSA
Wonder if Condor will survive. Hoping Lufthansa picks them up if they haven't already.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 5:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Uh Clem
Wonder if Condor will survive. Hoping Lufthansa picks them up if they haven't already.
LOT Polish Airlines are (were?) in the process of buying them, subject to anti-trust approval.
Uh Clem likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 5:20 pm

No matter what it is going to be ugly!
Old Mar 17, 2020, 6:01 pm

Cathay Pacific? Mainland China might want to let them die so China Eastern or Air China can establish a hub.
Fliar likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by bhomburg
Boeing way more than Airbus. Airbus has 16 billion Euros in cash reserves and spends 5.5 billion per month, so they can afford to stay afloat for a while without government backing even with customers essentially having stopped all payments.
Boeing is a prime US defense contractor. The DOD will not let Boeing go under.
ijkh and mmff like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.