FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts
Old Mar 16, 2020, 9:59 am
24left
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Stranger
I would add to that that even with the recommendation to avoid traveling and stay home (but hopefully not "do nothing" as a previous poster said), airlines and in particular AC must continue flying for a little while because of the many people still abroad for whom it is recommended to come back to Canada. Exposing crews indeed, and also contributing to an increase of cases in Canada since they are mostly coming from places which are ahead of us in the cycle of the epidemics. Which is not going to make things better here, but still, needs to be done. We cannot leave those folks out in the cold, especially in the US where saving their skin will leave them broke.

So yes, AC still needs to be flying people back for a few more days. But also agreed that the long term prospects of airlines ought to be far down our priority list at this point, and too bad for shareholders, but sorry for employees. Priority being for us to stay alive, especially for people like us, past seventy hence higher risk.

@Stranger
No one would ever suggest leaving people stranded abroad and I think AC has done what they could to bring some back. But since routes have already been suspended or cancelled, each day brings the challenge of those still outside the country trying to get back - and some can't, either because AC does not fly to their destination or they can't get to an AC departure point. And some are also on AC tickets but part of their travel may be with AC partners who stopped flying.

AC is still flying of course, and we know in addition to bringing people home, they can still continue a reduced schedule to the U.S. and within Canada. My point was there is a difference between HAVE to fly and don't really have to fly....right now. And of course, this being AC FT, even that phrase is open to interpretation and debate.