Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Key points of AC COVID change/cancellation policy [as of December 10, 2021]:
(see this page under "Changes and cancellations")

Unlimited changes. No change fees. Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your flight, we'll waive the change fee. After December 31, 2021, you can make one change at no extra charge. If your new fare has a higher price, you only need to pay the difference from your original fare.

If Air Canada changes the time of your flight, you make a change for free.*
*Within 3 days for North American destinations and 7 days for international and sun destinations.

If your flight is cancelled, you get a refund If your flight is cancelled for any reason and we dont rebook you on another flight that departs or arrives within three hours of your original departure or arrival time, or if we add a connection to your itinerary, you can request a refund.

Need to cancel? Save the value for future travel If you need to cancel a booking, the full value can be transferred to an Air Canada Travel Voucher, which never expires and is fully transferrable, or converted into Aeroplan points with a 65% bonus. Refundable tickets are always refundable.

Flexibility with Aeroplan bookings Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your Aeroplan flight reward, we'll waive all change fees. After December 31, 2021, you can still make one change without a fee.
Print Wikipost

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Old Mar 16, 2020, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by YOWCDNFF
New aircraft cleaning process now in place. Plane desinfected with pretty strong stuff after each flight. Need to wait roughly 10 minutes after cleaners are out before being able to board to "air" the aircraft... and this is on a small DH3...
I had 2 flights this weekend. My employer is (currently) classifying my travel as essential. Both of my flights were about 75% full, and my initial thought was "I wish traveling could always be like this."

All trays were noticeably disinfected. On one of the flights it looked like the screens were too. On the 2nd flight the SD made an announcement explaining some of the precautions that had been taken, and mentioned something about the filtration on the plane, then thanked everyone for their confidence in flying with Air Canada.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 24left
Agreed.

I really don't want this thread to get sidetracked with debate on whether anyone should or should not fly AC, internationally, to the U.S. or domestically. And regardless of how you interpret the messages in the media and from the government (neither of which have been clear), you cannot encourage people who DON'T HAVE TO FLY, to go out and buy tickets on AC to keep them in business.

AC has cash on hand, they will do as all other airlines have done recently and park aircraft, redeploy aircraft and reduce staff.

There have already been posts from the likes of the Alberta government with a recent list of AC flights on which there were infected pax and/or crew.

Do not sound the call for everyone to do their civic duty and go fly AC just to support the company or the staff. You don't know which pax or FAs might have the virus from their travels and there is no need to add to the workload.
I would add to that that even with the recommendation to avoid traveling and stay home (but hopefully not "do nothing" as a previous poster said), airlines and in particular AC must continue flying for a little while because of the many people still abroad for whom it is recommended to come back to Canada. Exposing crews indeed, and also contributing to an increase of cases in Canada since they are mostly coming from places which are ahead of us in the cycle of the epidemics. Which is not going to make things better here, but still, needs to be done. We cannot leave those folks out in the cold, especially in the US where saving their skin will leave them broke.

So yes, AC still needs to be flying people back for a few more days. But also agreed that the long term prospects of airlines ought to be far down our priority list at this point, and too bad for shareholders, but sorry for employees. Priority being for us to stay alive, especially for people like us, past seventy hence higher risk.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 9:44 am

I have a EWR-YOW (stopover) - YFB - YOW (short layover) - EWR itinerary booked with Aeroplan, with the EWR-YOW legs on AC and the YOW-YFB legs on Canadian North. I've already flown to YFB and would like to postpone the return flight (originally scheduled for next week) to some undetermined future date. Is it possible to do a partial refund of 12.5K Aeroplan miles, or alternatively open-date the return flight? I'm aware I can change the return to some date far into the future and then change it again when I've decided on the return date, but I believe that will incur a change fee when I make the second change.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 9:59 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Stranger
I would add to that that even with the recommendation to avoid traveling and stay home (but hopefully not "do nothing" as a previous poster said), airlines and in particular AC must continue flying for a little while because of the many people still abroad for whom it is recommended to come back to Canada. Exposing crews indeed, and also contributing to an increase of cases in Canada since they are mostly coming from places which are ahead of us in the cycle of the epidemics. Which is not going to make things better here, but still, needs to be done. We cannot leave those folks out in the cold, especially in the US where saving their skin will leave them broke.

So yes, AC still needs to be flying people back for a few more days. But also agreed that the long term prospects of airlines ought to be far down our priority list at this point, and too bad for shareholders, but sorry for employees. Priority being for us to stay alive, especially for people like us, past seventy hence higher risk.

@Stranger
No one would ever suggest leaving people stranded abroad and I think AC has done what they could to bring some back. But since routes have already been suspended or cancelled, each day brings the challenge of those still outside the country trying to get back - and some can't, either because AC does not fly to their destination or they can't get to an AC departure point. And some are also on AC tickets but part of their travel may be with AC partners who stopped flying.

AC is still flying of course, and we know in addition to bringing people home, they can still continue a reduced schedule to the U.S. and within Canada. My point was there is a difference between HAVE to fly and don't really have to fly....right now. And of course, this being AC FT, even that phrase is open to interpretation and debate.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@Stranger
No one would ever suggest leaving people stranded abroad and I think AC has done what they could to bring some back.
I was not claiming that you suggested that. Just thought that's also an important point.

AC is still flying of course, and we know in addition to bringing people home, they can still continue a reduced schedule to the U.S. and within Canada. My point was there is a difference between HAVE to fly and don't really have to fly....right now. And of course, this being AC FT, even that phrase is open to interpretation and debate.
Again, no argument there.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 10:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stranger
I was not claiming that you suggested that....
I know. Thanks.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 10:27 am
Suspended

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air...tine-1.5499037

QUOTES:

"CBC News has obtained what appears to be a memo from the airline to its staff stating that after having "discussions with government authorities, we can confirm that these conditions do not apply to you as operating, deadheading or commuting cabin crew." Deadheading refers to when Air Canada staff ride on a plane while not working it, in order to get to a new destination where they are required to work a flight.

The airline has not responded to a CBC News request about the veracity of the memo's contents. But the union says the policy is "inexplicably dangerous, short-sighted, and ignorant to the health of thousands of flight attendants who continue to work through these extremely trying times."

"You're exempted given you're well trained and prepared to protect yourselves, spend less times in the countries being visited and have access to and use protective measures on board, including hand sanitizers, masks and gloves when and as appropriate," the airline's memo to staff reads."
Old Mar 16, 2020, 10:40 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air...tine-1.5499037

QUOTES:

"CBC News has obtained what appears to be a memo from the airline to its staff stating that after having "discussions with government authorities, we can confirm that these conditions do not apply to you as operating, deadheading or commuting cabin crew." Deadheading refers to when Air Canada staff ride on a plane while not working it, in order to get to a new destination where they are required to work a flight.

The airline has not responded to a CBC News request about the veracity of the memo's contents. But the union says the policy is "inexplicably dangerous, short-sighted, and ignorant to the health of thousands of flight attendants who continue to work through these extremely trying times."

"You're exempted given you're well trained and prepared to protect yourselves, spend less times in the countries being visited and have access to and use protective measures on board, including hand sanitizers, masks and gloves when and as appropriate," the airline's memo to staff reads."
Would/Could the union just shut everything down at one point. I feel for the front line workers. I imagine they would want to shower in Alcohol after a shift
Old Mar 16, 2020, 10:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lcohen999
Would/Could the union just shut everything down at one point. I feel for the front line workers. I imagine they would want to shower in Alcohol after a shift
In the thread @RangerNS just posted https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...0-03-16-a.html

I saw the following comment in the AC Media Release. Not sure how the union sees things.

"At Air Canada, our core value is Safety First, Always - for our employees and for our customers. We rigorously follow the guidance of all relevant health authorities and follow best demonstrated practices in the prevention and handling of communicable diseases in the air travel industry. Additionally, in the last year, we entered a partnership with an independent company that monitors infectious diseases and epidemics globally and provides us with information in real-time to ensure we are equipped to make the best decisions, on a timely basis," concluded Mr. Rovinescu."

Media release link

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2020...se-to-COVID-19
Old Mar 16, 2020, 11:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Vyvd
I have a EWR-YOW (stopover) - YFB - YOW (short layover) - EWR itinerary booked with Aeroplan, with the EWR-YOW legs on AC and the YOW-YFB legs on Canadian North. I've already flown to YFB and would like to postpone the return flight (originally scheduled for next week) to some undetermined future date. Is it possible to do a partial refund of 12.5K Aeroplan miles, or alternatively open-date the return flight? I'm aware I can change the return to some date far into the future and then change it again when I've decided on the return date, but I believe that will incur a change fee when I make the second change.
Aeroplan has been more willing to do partial refunds lately, so if you're fine with that, I'd ask for it. Open-dating the return has not been permitted for many months.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, as I expected, only international flights now to YUL, YYZ, YYC and YVR. Which cuts off YEG and YOW.

One would assume that includes flights from the US?
Old Mar 16, 2020, 11:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 21, 2020 at 1:48 pm
Old Mar 16, 2020, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 21, 2020 at 1:47 pm
Old Mar 16, 2020, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by lcohen999
Just saw a report about an infected Air Canada flight attendant. This is the first reported case here on Maui. I hope she's ok.

It doesn't indicate which flight she was on but I believe it was AC587 YYC-OGG March 8.

https://mauinow.com/2020/03/15/first...re-in-germany/
Old Mar 16, 2020, 12:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Well if the result of international flights only going to those 4 airports is a shutdown of CBSA clearance facilities everywhere else, then there's a de facto ban of US flights to other airports.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.