FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cancelling a reward flight and the "indifference" of the Aeroplan company
Old Mar 12, 2020, 4:54 pm
teryyz

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, Skymiles, HHonors Silver, Marriott Gold
I've been trying to cancel an aeroplan booking for the past ~30 hours with no luck. The itinerary had a schedule/routing change that was unacceptable, and the email stated that I could change/cancel with no fee. However, when trying to cancel through the website, it seemingly randomly varies between showing $0 cancellation fee but no button to "proceed", and a $85 cancellation fee with a button to "proceed". Of course, I don't want to pay to cancel this booking (since it was involuntarily changed),and there is no option to change the reservation online.

I called yesterday afternoon and waited 2 hours, only to be disconnected (not sure if it was on my end or theirs), and subsequent calls have been met by the "heavy call volume, call back later" message.

I ended up booking a new reservation for the exact same routing, and taking screen shots of the various screens where there is no "proceed" button, or no "change" button. I'm not sure how to prove that I can't speak to anyone, but surely they are aware of their call centre issues. I'm planning to call/write in to request a refund in a few days, when (hopefully) things calm down. Feels like that is the better course of action than to pay the cancellation fee now, and try to argue to get that back.

Brutal customer service, Aeroplan!