Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Cancelling a reward flight and the "indifference" of the Aeroplan company

Old Mar 12, 20, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: aeroplan

I have been trying to cancel an Aeroplan reward ticket online for the past 24 hours. The Aeroplan website is a complete mess. I log into Aeroplan with no problem ... then I click Manage Your Bookings and I'm quickly taken to a page where it lists my future reward travel. I'm given an option of "cancelling" the flight which I select and I'm not-so-quickly taken to another page where it has a blurb on refunds and below that there is a "Refund Booking" button which is greyed out and remains greyed out forever.

After numerous futile attempts to cancel online, I decided to phone Aeroplan. I'm not a big-shot flyer these days, my Aeroplan card is a lowly orange in colour. What happened next is probably the worst form of customer service I have ever encountered in my life. I fully expected to wait hours on end and "get in line" with the rest but all I got was a recording that Aeroplan was very busy and they could not take my call. They promptly hung up to my amazement. I have never in my life been treated with so much disrespect from any business.

Twenty-four hours after my first attempt, the website is still a mess. I even woke up at 3:00 am EST this morning to attempt the cancellation with the above-mentioned results. I think I've tried at least 20 times in the last 24 hours and nothing ...

Aeroplan ... shame on you!
Old Mar 12, 20, 3:29 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
But are you surprised?
Old Mar 12, 20, 3:46 pm

Programs: AC E50K, Accor , ANA, Avios
Originally Posted by mrgreek View Post
What happened next is probably the worst form of customer service I have ever encountered in my life. I fully expected to wait hours on end and "get in line" with the rest but all I got was a recording that Aeroplan was very busy and they could not take my call. They promptly hung up to my amazement. I have never in my life been treated with so much disrespect from any business.
Guess you have never called AC reservations either? Same treatment.

And it's not just AC or Aeroplan..I have dealt with financial institutions that treated me the same way (or worse if you can believe it)
Old Mar 12, 20, 4:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I just cancelled an aeroplan booking with no issues online. Received my receipt by email..Hopefully will get tax refund over next couple of days and have points deposited back into my account..
Old Mar 12, 20, 4:40 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
Originally Posted by AMJP View Post
I just cancelled an aeroplan booking with no issues online. Received my receipt by email..Hopefully will get tax refund over next couple of days and have points deposited back into my account..
Log out, log back in, and the points should be in your account.

Tax refund could take a while.
Old Mar 12, 20, 4:54 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, Aeroplan, Skymiles, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I've been trying to cancel an aeroplan booking for the past ~30 hours with no luck. The itinerary had a schedule/routing change that was unacceptable, and the email stated that I could change/cancel with no fee. However, when trying to cancel through the website, it seemingly randomly varies between showing $0 cancellation fee but no button to "proceed", and a $85 cancellation fee with a button to "proceed". Of course, I don't want to pay to cancel this booking (since it was involuntarily changed),and there is no option to change the reservation online.

I called yesterday afternoon and waited 2 hours, only to be disconnected (not sure if it was on my end or theirs), and subsequent calls have been met by the "heavy call volume, call back later" message.

I ended up booking a new reservation for the exact same routing, and taking screen shots of the various screens where there is no "proceed" button, or no "change" button. I'm not sure how to prove that I can't speak to anyone, but surely they are aware of their call centre issues. I'm planning to call/write in to request a refund in a few days, when (hopefully) things calm down. Feels like that is the better course of action than to pay the cancellation fee now, and try to argue to get that back.

Brutal customer service, Aeroplan!
Old Mar 12, 20, 5:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by mapleg View Post
And it's not just AC or Aeroplan..I have dealt with financial institutions that treated me the same way (or worse if you can believe it)
As much as we love Canada, I have to say we've found customer service in general to be way below what we got used to in the U.S. Far too many Canadian businesses (including local small businesses) just don't seem interested in getting or keeping customers.
Old Mar 13, 20, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by AMJP View Post
What credit card will taxes be refunded to, if you were not asked for the card. Would it be the original one the ticket was bought with? Historically, AP asked for the card again when changing tickets via call center.
Old Mar 13, 20, 6:47 am

Programs: AC E50K, Accor , ANA, Avios
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer View Post
What credit card will taxes be refunded to, if you were not asked for the card. Would it be the original one the ticket was bought with? Historically, AP asked for the card again when changing tickets via call center.
Taxes are refunded to original card.
Old Mar 13, 20, 7:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by teryyz View Post
I've been trying to cancel an aeroplan booking for the past ~30 hours with no luck. The itinerary had a schedule/routing change that was unacceptable, and the email stated that I could change/cancel with no fee. However, when trying to cancel through the website, it seemingly randomly varies between showing $0 cancellation fee but no button to "proceed", and a $85 cancellation fee with a button to "proceed". Of course, I don't want to pay to cancel this booking (since it was involuntarily changed),and there is no option to change the reservation online.

I called yesterday afternoon and waited 2 hours, only to be disconnected (not sure if it was on my end or theirs), and subsequent calls have been met by the "heavy call volume, call back later" message.

I ended up booking a new reservation for the exact same routing, and taking screen shots of the various screens where there is no "proceed" button, or no "change" button. I'm not sure how to prove that I can't speak to anyone, but surely they are aware of their call centre issues. I'm planning to call/write in to request a refund in a few days, when (hopefully) things calm down. Feels like that is the better course of action than to pay the cancellation fee now, and try to argue to get that back.

Brutal customer service, Aeroplan!
I would also cancel the original ticket and, if required, pay the $85 and recoup that later when things settle down. Take screenshots, esp. of the commitment to cancel without fee.

You don't want to be in the situation of having two "live" conflicting or impossible tickets.
Old Mar 13, 20, 9:34 am

how to change or cancel Aeroplan booking? 18003615373 not working

I have a mini around the world trip booked by my Aeroplan points. yyz--fco--sin--nrt--yyz. the first segment was finished. now fco-sin segment is canceled by airline due to corona virus, can I still finish the rest segments? I tried to call Aeroplan and never be answered. or can I call Singapore airline instead? thx
Old Mar 13, 20, 10:45 am

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, Aeroplan, Skymiles, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
I would also cancel the original ticket and, if required, pay the $85 and recoup that later when things settle down. Take screenshots, esp. of the commitment to cancel without fee.

You don't want to be in the situation of having two "live" conflicting or impossible tickets.
That sounds like good advice. The free change/cancel option is right in the email notifying of the schedule change, so I have that in writing. It's just incredibly frustrating that they communicate an option, and then give you no practical way of actually doing it. I understand this is an extraordinary circumstance, but they could have mitigated this issue by just having a more capably functioning website to handle these straightforward changes!
Old Mar 13, 20, 10:51 am

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
Originally Posted by jamesxie63 View Post
I have a mini around the world trip booked by my Aeroplan points. yyz--fco--sin--nrt--yyz. the first segment was finished. now fco-sin segment is canceled by airline due to corona virus, can I still finish the rest segments? I tried to call Aeroplan and never be answered. or can I call Singapore airline instead? thx
So you are in FCO right now?

Did the system try to accommodate you onto something else? Check with your booking reference.

To answer your question though, yes, you can still finish the rest of the segments.
Old Mar 13, 20, 11:43 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by mrgreek View Post
I have been trying to cancel an Aeroplan reward ticket online for the past 24 hours. The Aeroplan website is a complete mess. I log into Aeroplan with no problem ... then I click Manage Your Bookings and I'm quickly taken to a page where it lists my future reward travel. I'm given an option of "cancelling" the flight which I select and I'm not-so-quickly taken to another page where it has a blurb on refunds and below that there is a "Refund Booking" button which is greyed out and remains greyed out forever.

After numerous futile attempts to cancel online, I decided to phone Aeroplan. I'm not a big-shot flyer these days, my Aeroplan card is a lowly orange in colour. What happened next is probably the worst form of customer service I have ever encountered in my life. I fully expected to wait hours on end and "get in line" with the rest but all I got was a recording that Aeroplan was very busy and they could not take my call. They promptly hung up to my amazement. I have never in my life been treated with so much disrespect from any business.

Twenty-four hours after my first attempt, the website is still a mess. I even woke up at 3:00 am EST this morning to attempt the cancellation with the above-mentioned results. I think I've tried at least 20 times in the last 24 hours and nothing ...

Aeroplan ... shame on you!
The same thing is happening to me. For the past 2 days, I've been trying to cancel on the Aeroplan site or by calling. The cancel button has always been greyed out, but the outgoing phone messages kept changing. Finally, I called about 15 minutes ago and the outgoing message said that they can't put me on hold but that I should cancel online at aircanada.com. I thought this was strange because usually AC and Aeroplan stay separate. At any rate, even though the AC site recognizes my booking reference number, it still won't let me cancel because the booking was made through Aeroplan.

Does anyone have an idea of what would happen if in the next 19 days I still cannot cancel and my flights happen without me? I wonder if I would ever be able to get the miles back.
Old Mar 13, 20, 12:02 pm

I have left rome already. I originally would take a 27 days cruise and go back rome. now I cancelled the cruise trip. I saw some post which said if you did not finish one of the segment, the whole trip will be cancelled.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: