FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Charged for 12 extra days
View Single Post
Old Mar 2, 2020, 8:53 am
BigJC

Originally Posted by Nhilar
Always, always, always get a paper receipt.

1. It proves without doubt transfer of custody.
2. If after inspection, they give you a receipt without noting damages, or making you fill out a damage form...you are pretty much free from threat of damage claims. ( note, I said pretty much, they can still claim anything they want, had it happen once - 1500 for a crushed bumper and new left tire and hub - crazy claim, the car I don't think would be driveable. However, I Informed them that I had a receipt that indicated the car was okay when I turned it in and that I was willing to take it to small claims and they said they would "drop it as a courtesy this one time")
3. Shenanigans are cut down considerably when you have a time stamped printed receipt.
Not always possible. My last rental at IAH I returned on a Sunday afternoon around 4pm to the "Printed Receipt" lane and that wasn't the first time/location that has happened. There was one alleged Hertz employee telling everyone returning that there was no one available to check in cars. I finally got a receipt emailed around 12:30 the next morning. Needless to say, I had the same thought that the car could've went out again in my name. Filled out the survey with zeroes, never to be heard back from Hertz.