Charged for 12 extra days

Old Feb 24, 20, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5 Star
Charged for 12 extra days

In January, I rented a car in MCO, drove it out to Port Canaveral, and returned it the next day to the Hertz location there before getting on a cruise - in total we had the car probably a little over 12 hours. They checked the car for fuel and mileage, I gave them the keys, and we hopped on the shuttle and they said they would email me the receipt. In fact, I got a bill by email two weeks ago (3 weeks after the reservation) alleging that we kept the car for 12 extra days, charging an extra $800 in late fees. My guess is that someone maybe didn't log the car in properly as returned.

I've called Hertz, and they have "started an investigation" but haven't done anything about it yet, and I haven't been able to get an update. At this point, I'm pessimistic of getting a useful response. I've also disputed the charge with AmEx, but they are also "investigating" and haven't done anything. While I don't have a receipt from the date I actually returned the car, I do have boarding passes from flights home, cruise documents, and actually a return reservation from Port Canaveral to MCO a week later (clearly I wouldn't rent another car from Port Canaveral if I still had the first one!). Unfortunately Hertz doesn't seem to want to look at any of this.

From now on, of course, I will get a paper receipt before walking away from the car, but is there anything else I can do for now? Has anyone else been in this situation and gotten it resolved to their satisfaction?

Thanks in advance...
Old Feb 24, 20, 8:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I wouldn't worry - let Hertz investigate and it will almost certainly find where the error is and address it
m907 and jalves like this.
Old Feb 24, 20, 8:51 pm

Programs: Hertz President's Circle, National Executive Elite,
Originally Posted by ywgckp View Post
In January, I rented a car in MCO, drove it out to Port Canaveral, and returned it the next day to the Hertz location there before getting on a cruise - in total we had the car probably a little over 12 hours. They checked the car for fuel and mileage, I gave them the keys, and we hopped on the shuttle and they said they would email me the receipt. In fact, I got a bill by email two weeks ago (3 weeks after the reservation) alleging that we kept the car for 12 extra days, charging an extra $800 in late fees. My guess is that someone maybe didn't log the car in properly as returned.

I've called Hertz, and they have "started an investigation" but haven't done anything about it yet, and I haven't been able to get an update. At this point, I'm pessimistic of getting a useful response. I've also disputed the charge with AmEx, but they are also "investigating" and haven't done anything. While I don't have a receipt from the date I actually returned the car, I do have boarding passes from flights home, cruise documents, and actually a return reservation from Port Canaveral to MCO a week later (clearly I wouldn't rent another car from Port Canaveral if I still had the first one!). Unfortunately Hertz doesn't seem to want to look at any of this.

From now on, of course, I will get a paper receipt before walking away from the car, but is there anything else I can do for now? Has anyone else been in this situation and gotten it resolved to their satisfaction?

Thanks in advance...

What kind of car did you pick up? Locations like that near the cruise terminals usually have pretty high turnover, so I’d imagine someone would have picked up the car after you returned it, within the 12 day window that they said you still had it. An investigation by Hertz would definitely show this.

For the future, at HLE (non airport) locations, I always ask for a receipt for situations like this. Sometimes they’ll miss your return or forget to process it in the system until later that day, and you could end up with a late return fee that way as well.
aztimm likes this.
Old Feb 24, 20, 8:57 pm

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Fortunately this has never happened to me and I now always ask for a paper receipt as I've seen several stories similar to this just in 2-3 threads here over the past 2-3 months. Hertz eventually figured it out in those threads.

People here warn against using the credit card dispute. It's recommended here only as a last result because the end result is usually ending up on the DNR list for Hertz.

Again, I haven't had personal experience but just have seen a bunch of threads concerning this topic and disputes.
Old Feb 25, 20, 8:08 pm

Always get a paper receipt.

Always, always, always get a paper receipt.

1. It proves without doubt transfer of custody.
2. If after inspection, they give you a receipt without noting damages, or making you fill out a damage form...you are pretty much free from threat of damage claims. ( note, I said pretty much, they can still claim anything they want, had it happen once - 1500 for a crushed bumper and new left tire and hub - crazy claim, the car I don't think would be driveable. However, I Informed them that I had a receipt that indicated the car was okay when I turned it in and that I was willing to take it to small claims and they said they would "drop it as a courtesy this one time")
3. Shenanigans are cut down considerably when you have a time stamped printed receipt.
jim32190 and aztimm like this.
Old Feb 26, 20, 6:49 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
I rent weekly at airport locations and never bother with a paper receipt. The few times this has happened to me at Hertz or National its always been corrected. Its usually due to a logging/inventory issue and gets resolved and the worst that ever happens is I get charged based on the return time I had put when setting the rental up instead of the actual time.
Old Feb 26, 20, 7:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While I suspect that this will wind up OK for OP, it will have taken a lot of time and effort.

Easiest way to avoid this is to have the paper receipt.
Old Feb 26, 20, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5 Star
OK, thanks to all of you for your feedback... It sounds like generally this will end up ok, even if two weeks have gone by and we've heard nothing from Hertz aside from "we're investigating".

I will update the group if/when I hear back more, if anyone else has this same issue.
Old Feb 26, 20, 2:18 pm

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
Yup to echo the others always get a paper receipt if at all possible for locations where it would be inconvenient for you to travel to, if an incident occurred (ie. Not a local rental).
Old Feb 26, 20, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by neo_781 View Post
I rent weekly at airport locations and never bother with a paper receipt. The few times this has happened to me at Hertz or National its always been corrected. Its usually due to a logging/inventory issue and gets resolved and the worst that ever happens is I get charged based on the return time I had put when setting the rental up instead of the actual time.

That works until it doesn't.
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Feb 26, 20, 4:52 pm

On my last 3 rentals from Hertz there is always an issue.

My latest was in Amsterdam last month, rented the car for one day, prior to returning the car got it washed and filled it up with gas, kept the receipts with me. Showed the rental clerk the car when returning, he confirmed everything was all good and their machine to print was not working. I insisted on a receipt, he managed to ' fix' the printer after pressing the power button, gave the receipt and quickly went to another car. Receipt showed car returned with empty fuel and was charged an extra 115 euros.

Had to go into the office explain the whole situation to them, they had to verify and spent an additional 15 minutes trying to get a refund. Told me it was sorted and it will properly reflect, only after insisting on a new receipt did they print it. At least if I was still charged it is easier to dispute it with Amex as I have two receipts with two timestamps, as well as the gas station receipt with a timestamp 45 minutes earlier.

In conclusion, always get a receipt.
Old Feb 26, 20, 11:41 pm

Always get a receipt AND use your phone to take a couple of photos. The dashboard (to show miles and fuel) and a general exterior shot of the car in a return parking bay.
In the very unlikely event of a billing error, having those photos makes it so much easier to press your case. I do it every time.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 2, 20, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Nhilar View Post
Always, always, always get a paper receipt.

1. It proves without doubt transfer of custody.
2. If after inspection, they give you a receipt without noting damages, or making you fill out a damage form...you are pretty much free from threat of damage claims. ( note, I said pretty much, they can still claim anything they want, had it happen once - 1500 for a crushed bumper and new left tire and hub - crazy claim, the car I don't think would be driveable. However, I Informed them that I had a receipt that indicated the car was okay when I turned it in and that I was willing to take it to small claims and they said they would "drop it as a courtesy this one time")
3. Shenanigans are cut down considerably when you have a time stamped printed receipt.
Not always possible. My last rental at IAH I returned on a Sunday afternoon around 4pm to the "Printed Receipt" lane and that wasn't the first time/location that has happened. There was one alleged Hertz employee telling everyone returning that there was no one available to check in cars. I finally got a receipt emailed around 12:30 the next morning. Needless to say, I had the same thought that the car could've went out again in my name. Filled out the survey with zeroes, never to be heard back from Hertz.
Old Mar 2, 20, 11:29 am

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BigJC View Post
Not always possible. My last rental at IAH I returned on a Sunday afternoon around 4pm to the "Printed Receipt" lane and that wasn't the first time/location that has happened. There was one alleged Hertz employee telling everyone returning that there was no one available to check in cars. I finally got a receipt emailed around 12:30 the next morning. Needless to say, I had the same thought that the car could've went out again in my name. Filled out the survey with zeroes, never to be heard back from Hertz.
I had a similar issue in LAS once in Jan. The return person said she couldn't print a receipt as printer was busted. I hadn't started my new plan to always document the return fully with photos but I took one pic clearly showing that the car was in the Hertz return area. I got the check in email right away so I didn't have to worry for long.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: