FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Changing tickets but preserving upgrades?
Old Mar 2, 2020, 7:50 am
acrophobia

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Changing tickets but preserving upgrades?

First of all, I realize this must have been discussed in the past on the forums, but I wasn't able to find it - so apologies to those who are sensitive about redundant content.

In any event, next week I am booked JFK-LAX on Sunday, LAX-BOS on Tuesday, and BOS-LGA on Wednesday.

Something has just come up that requires me to fly BOS-ORD on Wednesday and ORD-NYC on Thursday.

I called the DM line, and, as expected, was told I'd lose my C+ upgrades for JFK-LAX and LAX-BOS. For JFK-LAX in particular, there are no remotely palatable seats left - C+ is sold out and coach isn't tenable for me for that long of a flight due to a knee injury.

I may be mistaken, but I seem to recall that I once had a DM agent who figured out a way to make a similar change while preserving my upgrades on the legs that were not changing.

Does anyone know a workaround here other than waiting until landing in Boston to book BOS-ORD and ORD-NYC? I'm willing to do that if absolutely necessary, but don't love the idea of booking mission critical flights <24 hours out. I'd also be willing to buy BOS-ORD and ORD-NYC on a separate reservation and cancel BOS-NYC upon landing in Boston, but I believe that is a violation of Delta's terms.

Thanks.