Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Changing tickets but preserving upgrades?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing tickets but preserving upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2020, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Often1
The "leave the FF number off" thing is an urban myth which was not a myth about 6+ years ago. DL now uses software to sniff this stuff out and the FFP is close to meaningless.
Originally Posted by SamOF
What are you basing this on?
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Then OP would at best get a gate/battlefield upgrade on the new segments. I'm not sure keeping the FF number off the ticket matters much for conflicting reservations.
Meaningless or not, I have been in a similar situation where I wasn’t certain on the fate of my first reservation. I did my second booking without adding my FF. My second record stood fine, albeit without me being able to get benefits from my status. The point was to have my second booking in place at the prevailing ticket rate. As soon as I settled my situation with my first booking, I updated my alternate reservation to add my credentials. As noted by MSPeconomist, I didn’t get the benefits of my status until the last minute.

The alternate options were to make the change to my first ticket potentially loosing whatever benefits I already had with the first (to be kept) leg, wait to book my second ticket (same result as booking now at a potentially better pricing but adding my FF later) or booking the second ticket with another airline.

As a matter of fact, in my case, canceling or changing my return ticket to the alternate destination would reprice my first leg with made the whole ticket more expensive since it would price at today’s date rather than what I had obtained when first booked.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 8:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by cre95
Meaningless or not, I have been in a similar situation where I wasn’t certain on the fate of my first reservation. I did my second booking without adding my FF. My second record stood fine, albeit without me being able to get benefits from my status. The point was to have my second booking in place at the prevailing ticket rate. As soon as I settled my situation with my first booking, I updated my alternate reservation to add my credentials. As noted by MSPeconomist, I didn’t get the benefits of my status until the last minute.

The alternate options were to make the change to my first ticket potentially loosing whatever benefits I already had with the first (to be kept) leg, wait to book my second ticket (same result as booking now at a potentially better pricing but adding my FF later) or booking the second ticket with another airline.

As a matter of fact, in my case, canceling or changing my return ticket to the alternate destination would reprice my first leg with made the whole ticket more expensive since it would price at today’s date rather than what I had obtained when first booked.
Sometimes it really pays to make changes after the outbound flights have been flown.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 1:50 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Sometimes it really pays to make changes after the outbound flights have been flown.
What the OP wants is not that difficult and he says it’s mission critical so why wait...

they just need an agent to reissue the ticket was jfk-lax and lax-bos in SU class; requires manual ticketing, perhaps reissues Desk; if agent doesn’t know how just ask for a supervisor
acrophobia likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 9:02 am

Programs: SPG, DL
Originally Posted by cre95
I would buy the BOS-ORD and ORD-LGA legs now. If you are concerned about these being canceled due to Delta noticing you have alternate flights on the same dates, skip adding your FF number on these legs for now. Plan on updating the record with your number after you’ve had a chance to cancel the legs in your existing ticket that you won’t be taking.
I would buy the alternate legs now and NOT worry a bit about them potentially being cancelled. On multiple occasions I've been told explicitly to do this by agents (where the residual value of the remaining flights i wanted to changes was less than the change fee). I think it's a myth that Delta would (not could) unilaterally cancel--I've never seen such a story.

If you're REALLY paranoid, fly the OB then purchase. They won't strand you mid trip.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Somewhat ironic update to this: yesterday afternoon I was asked by my LA-based client to cancel my trip, because their company had just banned onsite vendor/consultant visits due to Covid-19 concerns. It turned out that the RUC I applied to the JFK-LAX leg had cleared within minutes of me receiving this call. After a lot of back-and-forth and supervisor escalations, Delta agreed to pull back the RUC and return it to my account, but were very clear (almost to the point of being off-putting) that this would be a one-time exception, that it would be noted in my account, and that I would never be extended this courtesy again.

For what it’s worth, numerous earlier conversations I had about preserving the JFK-LAX and LAX-BOS C+ upgrades all ended with the same result: if we change any leg of your itinerary, you will be placed back in the queue for upgrades for the legs that are not changing. It is, of course, possible that I had an exceptionally poor run of luck with the agents I connected with.

Last edited by acrophobia; Mar 6, 2020 at 11:03 am
Old Mar 6, 2020, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; Hilton Diamond
That is quite unfortunate that all agents told you the same. I have changed return legs and/or added segments on return leg without loosing my medallion upgrade to F on the outbound legs. Last time I did this was in Nov 2019. So not sure if something changed this year.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by arunhn
That is quite unfortunate that all agents told you the same. I have changed return legs and/or added segments on return leg without loosing my medallion upgrade to F on the outbound legs. Last time I did this was in Nov 2019. So not sure if something changed this year.
I’m sure the delta phone lines are flooded with calls due to Virus concerns. Likely just a run of bad luck with general line agents; not the usual PM DM agents. Certainly what is being asked can be done. As usual with Delta... all things are possible with the right agent, supervisor, intl ticket desk etc.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
The last time I faced a situation like this, I was confirmed in FC on a RUC UG (both segments). Due to MX issues for an originating flight, I was looking at a high likelihood of missing my connecting flight. Diamond line backed me up on a later flight, but agent and a supervisor both claimed that I would have to be placed on the UG list for the back-up flight, even though there were ample FC seats available.
Of course your situation was because DL agents and supervisors are a wealth of misinformation on rebooking flights with confirmed upgrades purchased with certificates or miles.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by acrophobia
First of all, I realize this must have been discussed in the past on the forums, but I wasn't able to find it - so apologies to those who are sensitive about redundant content.

In any event, next week I am booked JFK-LAX on Sunday, LAX-BOS on Tuesday, and BOS-LGA on Wednesday.

Something has just come up that requires me to fly BOS-ORD on Wednesday and ORD-NYC on Thursday.

I called the DM line, and, as expected, was told I'd lose my C+ upgrades for JFK-LAX and LAX-BOS. For JFK-LAX in particular, there are no remotely palatable seats left - C+ is sold out and coach isn't tenable for me for that long of a flight due to a knee injury.

I may be mistaken, but I seem to recall that I once had a DM agent who figured out a way to make a similar change while preserving my upgrades on the legs that were not changing.

Does anyone know a workaround here other than waiting until landing in Boston to book BOS-ORD and ORD-NYC? I'm willing to do that if absolutely necessary, but don't love the idea of booking mission critical flights <24 hours out. I'd also be willing to buy BOS-ORD and ORD-NYC on a separate reservation and cancel BOS-NYC upon landing in Boston, but I believe that is a violation of Delta's terms.

Thanks.
I lost an upgrade in the same scenario this week. Had to change my travel, and lost the upgrade for my outbound leg, which didn't change.

I was going to call the DL Plat line to see if they could get my upgrade back, but when I called yesterday, the agents couldn't figure out how to do some very basic things. I had to call multiple times to get everything straightened out. I'm worried that Delta has opened the Platinum line to all agents, probably due to call volume.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.