FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Feb 29, 2020, 12:52 pm
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
63. (Winter of 1975) Based solely upon schedules found in the North American OAG, identify the longest nonstop flight of a Lockheed L-188 Electra found therein.
This service was not flown north of the 49th parallel. It was not flown in the U.S. or the Caribbean either...

Ah, I'm completely in the dark concerning this one. And I had no idea a Mexican-based air carrier operated the Electra in scheduled passenger service south of the U.S. border. In fact, the only Electra passenger service into old Mexico that I can recall was operated by Western out of southern California many years ago (LAX - SAN - MEX, I think). Other than that, there was an all-cargo airline (I believe it was Mex-Jet back around 2004) that operated the Electra in Mexico. So Senor, I really.....just.....don't.....know.....

This question is about as eclectic as it gets. Additionally, I find the 1,860 mile route flown (MID-TIJ) interesting by 1975 standards. Back then, most airlines would've made two or three stops along the way. Makes me wonder if this was a government subsidized route for purposes other than public transport. I've not been able to find much information about the airline (Aero Servicios de California) except for this picture:

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Aero...ectra/671865/L

Here are the schedules:

Aero Servicios de California YM 501 Tijuana (TIJ)1255a-645a B Merida (MID) Sat. only

Aero Servicios de California YM 500 Merida (MID) 600a-930a B Tijuana (TIJ) Mon only

For comparison purposes, Merida to Tijuana is 1860 miles. Anchorage to Adak is 1192. It's only another 400 miles out to Attu at the end of the Aleutians, so any nonstops out of Anchorage to destinations beyond Adak would not exceed the nonstop distance between Merida and Tijuana.