FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA Trip Cancellation & Coronavirus: Discussion & Questions
Old Feb 26, 2020, 10:27 am
cmtlatitudes

Originally Posted by jmail1
Have a trip planned in a couple of weeks US-NRT-SIN-Bali then returning via Doha (and Islamabad of all places.)

Still planning on going. The only country we'll officially enter is Indonesia, so hopefully quarantine isn't expanded to transit passengers.
No, that's the nightmare scenario. An infected asymptomatic supercarrier waiting for their connecting flight in an international airport terminal. Mingling with potentially hundreds of people getting on flights heading to different parts of the globe.

It's an interesting point though. If anyone knows how major airports are handling screening (and detaining or quarantining?) for in-transit passengers, please chime in.

I leave in less than a week for 5 weeks in Australia, followed by 2 weeks in Africa/Europe. Theoretically anyway. Right now, as of today, I still plan on departing on schedule. That said, my concerns about potential quarantine impacts far from home are on my mind more each day as events continue to unfold, particularly with the latest canary island hotel quarantine. All it is takes is one unknowingly infected person passing through and once realized, everyone else being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Personally, I wouldn't advise anyone who doesn't have the means to adjust plans real time and/or 'get out of dodge' on a moment's notice during their travels - (assuming they can) - to travel internationally right now. My tickets are award tickets, but I have the peace of mind knowing I'm not relying on them, and can purchase pretty much whatever ticket I need to to get back to the US at the first rumblings of increased or extended travel impacts at home, or where I'll be. And, silly as it sounds, based on CDC's announcements yesterday, I'm taking some basic precautions to stock at home before I leave, that I normally would not. It kind of sucks to go on a bucket list trip and have to keep connected to monitor and assess coronavirus updates on a daily or even more frequent basis. But the situation changes rapidly and the alternative is not to go.