FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Premium Economy (Plus) targeted to solo traveler?
Old Feb 24, 2020, 4:09 pm
z28lt1

Programs: ua Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Gold, National Executive, Avis First
Premium Economy (Plus) targeted to solo traveler?

Sorry if this has been discussed anywhere, I didn't see a thread.

Last week when booking transatlantic flights I noticed some very strange pricing on Premium Economy. For some flights, when booking a single traveler, Premium Economy was a certain price (and in some cases, a good deal less than regular economy, which is another question to begin with). When adding a second traveler to the search, the prices of Premium Economy jumped significantly (even on flights where it indicated something like "3 tickets left at this price". 3 tickets were at the price, but if I tried to book 2 of them, the price was significantly higher than just 1. And this was on multiple flights.

Here's some screen shots:

Solo traveler (a number of options with Premium Economy at $1269 with 3 tickets at that price) Note how much cheaper than regular economy. There were actually another few flights available at that price that are not on the screen.

Here is the same search with a second passenger. Note the 5:25 - 11:55 flight (top one above, second one below) shows the same "3 tickets available at this price" in both cases. But adding a second person to the search jumps the price of Premium Economy over $700 per ticket. The price of regular economy is the same for both.

For completeness, here's a screen shot showing return flights after selecting an outbound flight for solo travel (where you can see at least one option with 4 tickets remaining)