Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Economy (Plus) targeted to solo traveler?

Old Feb 24, 2020, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ua Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Gold, National Executive, Avis First

Sorry if this has been discussed anywhere, I didn't see a thread.

Last week when booking transatlantic flights I noticed some very strange pricing on Premium Economy. For some flights, when booking a single traveler, Premium Economy was a certain price (and in some cases, a good deal less than regular economy, which is another question to begin with). When adding a second traveler to the search, the prices of Premium Economy jumped significantly (even on flights where it indicated something like "3 tickets left at this price". 3 tickets were at the price, but if I tried to book 2 of them, the price was significantly higher than just 1. And this was on multiple flights.

Here's some screen shots:

Solo traveler (a number of options with Premium Economy at $1269 with 3 tickets at that price) Note how much cheaper than regular economy. There were actually another few flights available at that price that are not on the screen.

Here is the same search with a second passenger. Note the 5:25 - 11:55 flight (top one above, second one below) shows the same "3 tickets available at this price" in both cases. But adding a second person to the search jumps the price of Premium Economy over $700 per ticket. The price of regular economy is the same for both.

For completeness, here's a screen shot showing return flights after selecting an outbound flight for solo travel (where you can see at least one option with 4 tickets remaining)

Old Feb 24, 2020, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Could just be a display/pricing issue until you get to the very end on all of them. Some inventory quirk where it will just error out.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 4:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Yes, from time to time, there have been inventory / pricing anomalies where PP is cheaper the regular economy. Some are real, some disappear as you complete the rest of the flight search (such as return leg).

I successfully booked a PP for less than economy on a open jaw routing. In my experience, these case are related to some routing / inventory edge conditions.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 24, 2020 at 4:31 pm Reason: formatting
Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ua Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Gold, National Executive, Avis First
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes, from time to time, there have been inventory / pricing anomalies where PP is cheaper the regular economy. Some are real, some disappear as you complete the rest of the flight search (such as return leg).

I successfully booked a PP for less than economy on a open jaw routing. In my experience, these case are related to some routing / inventory edge conditions.
I thought it was odd that it was so much cheaper than economy, but even odder that the pricing went away adding a second passenger to the itinerary, despite saying 3 or 4 tickets remaining at that price.

It was open jaw, so that may have had something to do with it as well.

The price stayed when looking at return flights, but I did not click all the way though to try to ticket it, so it may have errored out trying to finalize the booking.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is it possible that the PP fare being considered is dual inventory and requires also a certain coach fare class in which only one seat is available, but due to an IT mistake, the "three available" means three in the PP fare class without a check of coach fare class availability? I started to call this an IT glitch but it's more of a misunderstanding of the logic behind fare class availability.
drewguy likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is it possible that the PP fare being considered is dual inventory and requires also a certain coach fare class in which only one seat is available, but due to an IT mistake, the "three available" means three in the PP fare class without a check of coach fare class availability? I started to call this an IT glitch but it's more of a misunderstanding of the logic behind fare class availability.
This is indeed how "x seats available" works, but without cities I can't give a specific example.
jsloan likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I started to call this an IT glitch but it's more of a misunderstanding of the logic behind fare class availability.
It's both -- UA's IT should be written to understand how its own fare classes work.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 10:08 am
Suspended

Programs: AV, AA, BA, CM, UA, Hertz, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by jsloan
It's both -- UA's IT should be written to understand how its own fare classes work.
Senor, por favor, no! It is better for us if UA does not write code that understands how its own fare classes work. LOL!
Old Feb 25, 2020, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ReinaDeLaSelva
Senor, por favor, no! It is better for us if UA does not write code that understands how its own fare classes work. LOL!
LOL. If this were the pricing module, not the display module, I'd agree.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.