FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Currently On Mattress Run, checked in, when can i check out
Old Feb 24, 2020, 12:12 pm
jayer

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Sure-Not That Other People Have Not Already

Can you elaborate? I'm genuinely curious.
It seems that you are a relatively new participant to Flyer Talk. The board has seen years worth of actual stories and discussions on Mattress Runs. It's close relative is the Phantom Stay, where you check in but never appear. Your scenario risks being considered more the second than the first. It's all been talked about on 100 threads.

Some to most hotels could care less. A few think it is funny and all a part of the game. A few think you are somehow defiling the program and will zealously resist the notion and call it a Phantom Stay if they think you are not using the room. Phantom Stays do not get stay credit. Per Hyatt not just Hotel X.

Unless you are certain the hotel is down with the idea and really appreciate knowing they do not have to remake the room; absolutely, positively don't call attention to yourself or let them know you are leaving. Check into the hotel. Key into the room. Don't hurry away. If it really is close to where you are really sleeping think about going back and eating a bit of the bad HP breakfast, and check out in person. Never check out by phone or online till the next morning. Let the system cycle. You still want a folio if you can get it.

There is a difference of opinion on this last one; but unless the hotel is in on the game I would fold back the bed, use one towel, and leave a housekeeping tip.

Finally, a destination fee is a bundled part of the room charge. Purposely mis-described, but part of the room charge. They want the money and are quite unlikely to waive it anyway. You are in this for the stay credit. Don't tip your hand over a fragment of the room rate.

Last edited by jayer; Feb 24, 2020 at 12:18 pm