FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dual-Citizen Canadians must have a Canadian Passport to fly to Canada
Old Feb 23, 2020, 8:42 pm
TemboOne

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
OP Adds further comment

Originally Posted by tcook052
Let's please return this thread to being related to AC or it can be moved to a more appropriate forum for general passport discussion and entry/exit regulations of various countries.

tcook052
Ac forum mod.
I have to agree with tcook052 on this.
My only purpose in raising the question initially was to highlight the problem encountered by the 96 year old man in question.

In particular to highlight the fact that in this case Air Canada was being blamed totally illogically and unfairly for the passenger not having the correct documentation.

There are a number of threads throughout FT referring to dual-citizenships and what can or can't be done, or even "should or shouldn't be done".

It appears that in this case a family member made the travel reservation arrangements and may have been unaware of the documents available as compared with documents actually legally required AT THE TIME OF TRAVEL.

As to dual nationality, it's great, and has huge advantages. My wife and I actually have legal triple citizenships (and current passports for each) and fly with them on AC all the time. Generally on reservations made online directly with AC we use the passport we intend using to enter the destination country - and present that passport at check-in in Canada (we do not use or like OLCI or the kiosks!). Where there is departure immigration check as in Japan we use the same passport that we entered the country on. At AC's check-in counters at HND and NRT we use our Canadian passports.

Japan does not care if OTHER citizens have and use two passports. One astute departure immigration lady at HND (located AFTER AC check-in) was perplexed that our Irish passports seemingly when we are going TO Canada had no ETA stamps looked up at us with a frown and a smile and said "Double?" We happily showed her our Canadian passports and had absolutely no problems.

Not having the correct documents is not Air Canada's fault. It is always the traveller's obligation to be properly prepared.

Unfortunately the 96 year old man in question received either incorrect or incomplete advice.