FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Situation in Wuhan?
View Single Post
Old Feb 23, 2020, 3:37 am
STS-134

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
I don't doubt that at all, but I would be hard-pressed to believe that a significant number of people know how to "flip the Wall." Just for the sake of argument, suppose 10,000 people in a city of 10M are tech-savvy enough to detect loopholes in the system. That would be 0.1% leakage -- as watertight as it gets. And I can't fathom more people than that to be able to do this.
If that's the case then all someone needs to do to get video out is get it to one of those 10,000 individuals. If each person knows 25 others, that's less than 3 degrees of separation.

In any case, what are people going to do if they are cooped up in their apartments for weeks? If you told me that someone created a clone of myself and he was going to try for one month to break into my computer remotely and delete all my files if he gets in, I'd take proper precautions and would be only slightly concerned. If you further added that this person would be cooped up in an apartment nearly 24/7 and would only be able to eat, sleep, and try to break into my computer, I'd be very worried.

Originally Posted by moondog
I can't comment on Wuhan because I rarely go there, but I will note that I've been a little surprised by how steadfastly my Chinese friends have towed the party line wrt the quarantine measures. I'm talking about people my age and younger, not just the older generations. By in large, they are not furious. Rather, they regard temporary suffering as a necessary and worth while. That having been said, none of my friends have had problems getting food or other basic supplies yet.

While I'm not a fan of many of the new policies, I must admit that keeping people from getting near each other and reminding them not to touch inert surfaces seems to be fairly effective.
While I'm sure the people who are actually sick with the virus and taken in for quarantine are understanding of the need to protect other people from them, there's another group of people who either don't have the coronavirus or have recovered and are furious about being thrown in with sick people, which just risks more spread. https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/22/asia/...hnk/index.html

Last edited by STS-134; Feb 23, 2020 at 3:47 am