FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dual-Citizen Canadians must have a Canadian Passport to fly to Canada
Old Feb 22, 2020, 12:32 pm
TemboOne

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Dual-Citizen Canadians must have a Canadian Passport to fly to Canada

An interesting quote on CTV News highlights a problem for a 96 year old dual Canadian-British Citizen denied boarding in Jamaica when returning to Canada from a funeral. This relatively new rule, while common for Americans returning to the U.S. is likely little known in Canada outside frequent travellers such as here.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/canadian-...sted-1.4822598

What is interesting here is that this was not flagged by AC as a potential problem. I frequently travel FROM Canada on another passport and this is what AC records on registration. However, upon check-in for my return flight home to Canada I use my Canadian passport.

Does anyone know if when booking an international flight direct with AC if there is now any provision for separate passports to be registered for outbound and inbound flights? If this were to be in force then the captioned traveller's problem would have been flagged.

Normally there would be limited sympathy for someone who failed to ensure they possessed correct documentation for all segments of a journey but since this was in effect a bereavement type journey by a 96 year old to attend a funeral overseas perhaps some discreet flexibility could have been shown.

POSTSCRIPT: I just realised that I neglected to question how the gate agent at KIN or MBJ knew the traveller was also a Canadian Citizen. He may have accidentally revealed too much to the gate agent!

Last edited by TemboOne; Feb 22, 2020 at 12:46 pm