FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Situation in Wuhan?
View Single Post
Old Feb 22, 2020, 5:27 am
SethC

Originally Posted by JPDM
"...the very few activist bloggers would be able to get their information out, maybe, but not the average Jo. It's genuinely possible that the average Wuhan resident hasn't tried to access anything except WeChat and gov approved sites the last 3 weeks..." - most Chinese don't care about accessing Facebook or other banned sites. They are quite happy with their "intranet". Those who care have figured out their way around the Wall.
"...I seriously can’t imagine how awful it is to be living in Wuhan now..." - I have a friend who lives in the center of Wuhan. She is in good spirit, goes to work every day (office job for the government making payments to handicapped) and no food shortage. Getting "dressed up" for work is a bit of a pain but she is not complaining.
Are you Chinese? This sounds Chinese. Most people I know in Wuhan are indeed doing their best to remain in good spirits, but are growing rather miserable. Most can no longer leave their apartment communities and some are no longer receiving food. Some Chinese locals have been jumping fences to get out to buy groceries, although even that is "against the rules" as all supermarkets are now restricted only to "community shoppers". Many foreigners who didn't get out are having to fight to receive any pay from their jobs, which is understandable but certainly makes it an even more difficult situation for them.

For reference, I lived in Wuhan for 4 years and only left about half a year ago.