FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CVG as Regional Non-Hub
View Single Post
Old Feb 21, 2020, 4:00 pm
matchbox20_is

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ProfRB
This nice post on favorite SkyClubs got me wondering why, when I'm booking flights, I'm never given the option of connecting there anymore. A quick glance at Delta's route map indicates that CVG no longer serves as any sort of regional (by which I mean the Greater Ohio Valley) hub. It can connect folks flying from outlying areas, but not nearby areas.

This got me thinking -- I think there's a real missed opportunity here. There may not be a huge O/D demand for routes between CVG & PIT, CVG & CLE, etc., but I'm confident there's enough demand there to justify a regular route if combined with folks from PIT & CLE who might use the route as a stopover to elsewhere. As it is, there are no good airline options between these cities (or PIT-PHI, for that matter). CVG's de-hubbing several years back seems to have left a void. I am reminded that this is precisely the kind of void Southwest exploited when it was a start-up in Texas back in the day....

I suppose Delta's theory is that all Ohio Valley -originating flights can route through ATL or DTW, but I'd sure love to see some regional options to CVG. Thoughts?
I'm not sure there there's enough O&D traffic between Pittsburgh to Pinheiro to justify the route!