FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Horrors of iTunes
View Single Post
Old Feb 21, 2020, 5:56 am
LordHamster

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Welcome to my world... My wife is the same, she insists on an iPhone. I hate iOS, but love MacOS, so I have an iMac and a couple of MacBooks.

Recently, she asked me to get her photos off the iPhone, and get them backed up into our Dropbox account. Should be simple, yes?

I plugged the iPhone into the iMac under her account. But there doesn't seem to be any way of just copying/pasting the photos. The only way to sync seems to be to copy everything to iPhoto - which is not what I wanted. On my Android, I just drill down to the photos directory on the phone, and copy/paste into the Dropbox folder.

After doing a bit of googling, I found a utility that I had to install that allowed me to do it. But, that shouldn't be necessary.
I think you are overcomplicating things a bit:
  • For photos: You should be able to install the dropbox app on her phone and set it to auto-backup her photos. No need to ever hook up to a computer. https://www.dropbox.com/features/sync/transfer-photos The WHOLE POINT of dropbox and other cloud file systems is precisely so you can avoid having to "plug into a computer" an drag files around like it's 1995.
  • For iTunes, I can't remember the last time I had to "manage" that. Frankly just sign up for a month of Apple Music... and it will put your whole music collection into the cloud for use on all your devices. I've since moved on to Android for phone (I switch every few years)... and can STILL get my manually uploaded music by just logging into apple music. That said, the concept of a music "collection" is kindof outdated now anyway. I get YouTube Music for free via my Youtube Premium subscription. I can play ANY song at ANY time on ANY device. Why deal with "managing" anything? Frankly the nominal monthly cost is worth not having to deal with it. Unless you have tons of garage band music that isn't available online, but again the Apple Music setup lets you even have those available in the cloud.