Reload this Page >

The Horrors of iTunes

The Horrors of iTunes

Old Feb 20, 20, 1:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
The Horrors of iTunes

Unfortunately, my wife likes Apple devices, despite the unending mysterious issues and the arrogance of the Council of Geniuses. She is addicted to doing everything on her phone. I got her an iPad a while back, but she never used it. She got an Apple Watch, which she uses for a watch, and pretty much nothing else. Last summer, she wanted a Mac for her birthday, which I thought was a good idea. Long story short, it's been gathering dust since we first set it up in September, and now she wants to use it. I'm not much help, as I am a PC / Android guy, and the Apple methodology doesn't gel with me.

So, she tried to sync her iTunes library to the Ma, and it is very frustrating for both of us. Last October, we did a full backup of the phone to the Cloud, but we weren't able to get that to work, as only some songs downloaded, and none of the playlists. Then we tried simply plugging in her phone to do a sync. However, when she tries to do that, a pop up comes up (that is never shown in Apple support documentation) saying that the sync will remove music from her phone. That's a huge red flag - once before when we were syncing with a PC, the sync wiped out all of the songs on both the phone and the PC. I get that Apple wants to control your life, and iTunes will not back up non-Apple purchased content, but almost he entire library was purchased through the iTunes store.

Does someone know the best way to get an image of her iTunes from the phone to the Mac? Her songs and playlists? Second, is there an alternative to iTunes? One of the "geniuses" admitted that iTunes stinks, and claimed Apple would be replacing it, but I haven't seen an alternative that can play her songs with DRM.
Old Feb 20, 20, 4:12 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
As to your second question, try iMazing
https://imazing.com/

SO much nicer than iTunes.
Old Feb 20, 20, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As long as you're signed in to iTunes with the same Apple ID used on your phone, it should sync fine.

iTunes is pretty awful bloatware that doesn't really have a lot of utility these days but has become Apple's all in one iOS management software. I couldn't tell you the last time I synced with iTunes.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 21, 20, 12:53 am

Do you have a good itunes music library somewhere else? If so, you should be able to port it over to the mac and then set that as your itunes library in itunes (music) preferences.

There's a bunch of steps you need to go through first to create the backup on the PC first, search for the info, it's out there. (consolidate, download purchases, etc) But if you have a working iTunes library, you should be able to get that onto the Mac and use that.

Then try it again.

If you can get that far, you can use music match to get rid of all the DRM that Apple has in that library. But that's for another day. Also, if you're willing to subscribe to icloud music, you'd never have to go through that again, including using iTunes (music) app. But you do really need to get a good music library first to make that work properly with everything you already have. And the key to making all that work is to always use the same apple ID for purchases, and everything else.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Feb 21, 20 at 12:59 am
Old Feb 21, 20, 2:06 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Welcome to my world... My wife is the same, she insists on an iPhone. I hate iOS, but love MacOS, so I have an iMac and a couple of MacBooks.

Recently, she asked me to get her photos off the iPhone, and get them backed up into our Dropbox account. Should be simple, yes?

I plugged the iPhone into the iMac under her account. But there doesn't seem to be any way of just copying/pasting the photos. The only way to sync seems to be to copy everything to iPhoto - which is not what I wanted. On my Android, I just drill down to the photos directory on the phone, and copy/paste into the Dropbox folder.

After doing a bit of googling, I found a utility that I had to install that allowed me to do it. But, that shouldn't be necessary.
KRSW and Silver Fox like this.
Old Feb 21, 20, 5:56 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
Welcome to my world... My wife is the same, she insists on an iPhone. I hate iOS, but love MacOS, so I have an iMac and a couple of MacBooks.

Recently, she asked me to get her photos off the iPhone, and get them backed up into our Dropbox account. Should be simple, yes?

I plugged the iPhone into the iMac under her account. But there doesn't seem to be any way of just copying/pasting the photos. The only way to sync seems to be to copy everything to iPhoto - which is not what I wanted. On my Android, I just drill down to the photos directory on the phone, and copy/paste into the Dropbox folder.

After doing a bit of googling, I found a utility that I had to install that allowed me to do it. But, that shouldn't be necessary.
I think you are overcomplicating things a bit:
  • For photos: You should be able to install the dropbox app on her phone and set it to auto-backup her photos. No need to ever hook up to a computer. https://www.dropbox.com/features/sync/transfer-photos The WHOLE POINT of dropbox and other cloud file systems is precisely so you can avoid having to "plug into a computer" an drag files around like it's 1995.
  • For iTunes, I can't remember the last time I had to "manage" that. Frankly just sign up for a month of Apple Music... and it will put your whole music collection into the cloud for use on all your devices. I've since moved on to Android for phone (I switch every few years)... and can STILL get my manually uploaded music by just logging into apple music. That said, the concept of a music "collection" is kindof outdated now anyway. I get YouTube Music for free via my Youtube Premium subscription. I can play ANY song at ANY time on ANY device. Why deal with "managing" anything? Frankly the nominal monthly cost is worth not having to deal with it. Unless you have tons of garage band music that isn't available online, but again the Apple Music setup lets you even have those available in the cloud.
Old Feb 21, 20, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
As mentioned earlier, iMazing is a very good and simple alternative to iTunes - I haven't used iTunes for ages.
Old Feb 21, 20, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LordHamster View Post
I think you are overcomplicating things a bit:
  • . Frankly just sign up for a month of Apple Music... and it will put your whole music collection into the cloud for use on all your devices. I've since moved on to Android for phone (I switch every few years)... and can STILL get my manually uploaded music by just logging into apple music. That said, the concept of a music "collection" is kindof outdated now anyway. I get YouTube Music for free via my Youtube Premium subscription. I can play ANY song at ANY time on ANY device. Why deal with "managing" anything? Frankly the nominal monthly cost is worth not having to deal with it. Unless you have tons of garage band music that isn't available online, but again the Apple Music setup lets you even have those available in the cloud.
There might be people out there, who don't want Apple (Apple Music) or Google (YouTube) involved in their daily life for such simple things, as listening to music. Some people might not want to subscribe to streaming services, because their music collection is already bulging at the seams.
KRSW and Jimmie76 like this.
Old Feb 21, 20, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger View Post
There might be people out there, who don't want Apple (Apple Music) or Google (YouTube) involved in their daily life for such simple things, as listening to music. Some people might not want to subscribe to streaming services, because their music collection is already bulging at the seams.
Believe me, I get it. I have a friend who has 500 DVDs and refuses to use Netflix or other streaming services. Just sayin' the reason these systems are so frustrating is that they are ALL geared towards the cloud now. The days of shuttling our MP3 collection around in a binder of CDs are over. It is only going to get more frustrating to "manage" the collection as time goes on.
Old Feb 21, 20, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You'd be surprised, just how much music fits on a 512GB SD card, even in lossless format
KRSW likes this.
Old Feb 21, 20, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger View Post
You'd be surprised, just how much music fits on a 512GB SD card, even in lossless format
Oh, I'm well aware! I had a YUGE collection. Unfortunately, I've found that my ears are limited to listening to 60 minutes of music / hour.
Old Feb 21, 20, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, that limit comes with age
LordHamster likes this.
Old Feb 21, 20, 8:26 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
The struggle is real.

Why Apple doesn't possess a simple file structure and a straightforward means to administer files is a mystery. It is like they DESIRE to make customers angry and frustrated.
KRSW and Jimmie76 like this.
Old Feb 21, 20, 10:11 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
On my old iBook G4 (2004) I have the old iTunes, and what it veritable classy product it was. I never try to connect the iBook to the internet and I have all my music and compositions happily filed. It's incredible how nice iTunes was. It's even more incredible how utterly horrible it is now. Who would want to use such a thing? It's completely vile.

The fact that my iBook G4 still functions is a sad reminder of what a quality product Apple used to be. Having been shafted by Apple, I have taken my business elsewhere. Let me tell you, when they lose a customer, they lose a customer, period.

Ever since they invented that stupid idiotophone, it's become an unimaginative, money grabbing mobile phone enterprise. The beginning of the iPhone was the beginning of the end for Apple Mac.
Old Feb 21, 20, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post

Just plug the phone into the computer. It will mount as a drive (in Windows at least) and the photos are available in there.

This has already turned into a "I hate Apple" thread...we have plenty of those already.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: