FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sixt vs Silvercar vs Costco Luxury SUV at LAX
Old Feb 18, 2020, 3:48 pm
Jerome10

Sixt vs Silvercar vs Costco Luxury SUV at LAX

Generally rent with Costco (Alamo, Enterprise, Avis, Budget) for the good prices, extra driver, and generous cancellation policies.

However, will be going to LAX with family for a week and we're thinking of splurging a bit on a "luxury" rental vs a minivan at Avis or Budget. Require a 7 passenger vehicle.

I lived in Germany for many years and always preferred Sixt for the generally newer and cleaner cars, and a more consistent selection. But I have never rented Sixt in the USA.

How are the Sixt vehicles at LAX vs their fleet in Germany? Are the USA cars still generally newer and pretty well maintained? We would be renting in the GLS/X7/Escalade class. (I'll note that if I get an Escalade I'd probably just rather have a Suburban from one of the Costco companies...not really enough "difference" to me between Escalades and Suburbans). Do you get decent amenities, engine options etc or are the Sixt cars pretty stripped out?

How would you compare Sixt with Silvercar (the Q7 7 passenger here)? I've zero experience with Silvercar. Again, what sort of trim level could you expect at Silvercar?

And lastly, how do these two compare with the Alamo Luxury SUV class at LAX (this is the QX80 or similar)? I ask specifically about this one because I can reserve Alamo Luxury SUV through Costco.

I'm generally not a brand snob, but I will say if going Sixt I'd much prefer the GLS or X7 to an Escalade, Silvercar obviously I will be guaranteed a Q7 Audi, and Infiniti isn't exactly top-tier luxury either, but a nice car. Beyond that, I have to say minivans do rock despite the bad image, so long as you get the new Pacifica or Sienna and don't end up with the old-school Grand Caravans

Any particular advice here, especially between Sixt and Silvercar?