Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Sixt vs Silvercar vs Costco Luxury SUV at LAX

Old Feb 18, 2020, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Generally rent with Costco (Alamo, Enterprise, Avis, Budget) for the good prices, extra driver, and generous cancellation policies.

However, will be going to LAX with family for a week and we're thinking of splurging a bit on a "luxury" rental vs a minivan at Avis or Budget. Require a 7 passenger vehicle.

I lived in Germany for many years and always preferred Sixt for the generally newer and cleaner cars, and a more consistent selection. But I have never rented Sixt in the USA.

How are the Sixt vehicles at LAX vs their fleet in Germany? Are the USA cars still generally newer and pretty well maintained? We would be renting in the GLS/X7/Escalade class. (I'll note that if I get an Escalade I'd probably just rather have a Suburban from one of the Costco companies...not really enough "difference" to me between Escalades and Suburbans). Do you get decent amenities, engine options etc or are the Sixt cars pretty stripped out?

How would you compare Sixt with Silvercar (the Q7 7 passenger here)? I've zero experience with Silvercar. Again, what sort of trim level could you expect at Silvercar?

And lastly, how do these two compare with the Alamo Luxury SUV class at LAX (this is the QX80 or similar)? I ask specifically about this one because I can reserve Alamo Luxury SUV through Costco.

I'm generally not a brand snob, but I will say if going Sixt I'd much prefer the GLS or X7 to an Escalade, Silvercar obviously I will be guaranteed a Q7 Audi, and Infiniti isn't exactly top-tier luxury either, but a nice car. Beyond that, I have to say minivans do rock despite the bad image, so long as you get the new Pacifica or Sienna and don't end up with the old-school Grand Caravans

Any particular advice here, especially between Sixt and Silvercar?
Old Feb 18, 2020, 8:53 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

I can't comment on Sixt or Silvercar, but a few comments:
  • You say you'd need the 7 pax. Is that because you have 6-7 people or because you need the passenger space? If you have 6-7 people, you'll be tight in anything except maybe a Suburban/Yukon XL/Escalade ESV (or the Ford "equivalents"). If you have <6, then you should be ok in about anything you mention, so long as you aren't toting too many bags per person.
  • While I agree that there's not much difference between the Escalade and Suburban, they're better than the QX80 in my opinion. The QX80 handles like a beast, is horrible on gas and annoying for anyone to get in/out of behind the 2nd row. The rear also seemed small in that when I've had it. The GLS is also very dated. The times I've rented them in the past year (from Avis, so your trim may be different elsewhere), they were basic. They lacked many things that Toyota has as standard on most models (lane departure, distance-based cruise, etc) and the interior felt very dated.

Sorry I can't offer much on your other specific questions, but that's the advice I can offer.
m907 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 3:43 am

I'd try to get a Pacifica if I were you. Even a large SUV is going to be cramped for 6-7 people plus luggage. A Pacifica will be easier to get in/out, easier to drive, and the interior of the Limited trim rivals some "luxury" cars.

​​​​​
Old Feb 19, 2020, 5:02 am

Silvercar's current fleet of Q7's are all 2018 model, Premium Plus 2.0T trim. Hopefully 2020 models will start dropping in the next couple of months.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 12:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by m907
I'd try to get a Pacifica if I were you. Even a large SUV is going to be cramped for 6-7 people plus luggage. A Pacifica will be easier to get in/out, easier to drive, and the interior of the Limited trim rivals some "luxury" cars.

​​​​​
Agreed. The Pacifica is anything but sexy, but it's incredibly practical and extremely comfortable.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Agreed. The Pacifica is anything but sexy, but it's incredibly practical and extremely comfortable.

Ha, you know the more I think about the trip the more I'm thinking Pacifica as well. Practical and comfortable is exactly right.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.