FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Increased Turbulence Announcements Before Takeoff
Old Feb 18, 2020, 12:27 pm
Dawgfan6291

Originally Posted by clubord
I recently had a flight to EWR/ZRH where the turbulence forecast over the tracks was horrendous. 3-4 hours of moderate turbulence with no way around it. We briefed the passengers at the gate, before push, and during level off that it was going to be pretty rough for an extended period of time in about 2 hours into the flight.

As we coasted out, our dispatcher sent a report that the lower altitudes (F280-F300) are much better than the planned F350.

Requested lower and ended up flying at F290 where it was nothing worse than light chop here and there the whole way. Meanwhile our iPads kept showing red areas of turbulence nearly the entire ocean crossing. The other airplanes higher were getting beat up pretty bad and unable to descend to get out of it because of traffic like us.

Landed uneventfully in ZRH, after blocking in the three of us debriefed on what a great move that it was to opt to fly lower and adjusting our fuel consumption to make it work out. How this could have been a very long and uncomfortable night if we didn’t.

Minutes later as pax were deplaning a “Multi-Million Mile” passenger approached and accused me of deliberately lying; completely overdoing the turbulence reports to reduce workload for the flight attendants. “I’m onto your game and rest assured this seat belt sign abuse will be reported to United.”

There’s no winning in a situation like that and I just responded I’d try to do better next time, sorry about that. I was the one standing by the cockpit door as the other two pilots were packing their things up. They listened to this guy’s diatribe and I could hear them quietly laughing behind me.

Bottom line, can’t win for trying!

We don’t keep the seat belt sign on to create issues...honestly. If it’s bumpier than planned, sorry. If it’s smoother than reported, sorry. It’s also not a conspiracy against your bladders or a means to impede service.
You mean airline employees aren't teaming up trying to screw over paying passengers? I AM SHOCKED!

It's almost like you guys have more data than the people on FlyerTalk who googled turbulence.
Originally Posted by flyerCO
A good lawyer I bet could overcome the motion. The light is on all the time, even when not needed. Thus passenger has no way of knowing if it's legit or not as to staying seated.
anyone going into the law suit thinking this happens will be made to look like fools by the airlines and their meteorologist.

Like "chemtrails are real" fools.
Originally Posted by cmd320
So after descending to an altitude where it was nothing worse than a light chop the seatbelt sign remained on? Why?
Did you read his post?

"Meanwhile our iPads kept showing red areas of turbulence nearly the entire ocean crossing."

Have any of you never stepped outside and its raining, you pull up the weather app on your phone and you see no rain on the radar? Or you see rain on the radar and its not raining?
Technology on this stuff has come a LONG way, but it still is far from perfect.
Oh and as pointed out, the US has become super sue happy. Get up if you want when the light is on but if something happens good luck getting a single cent out of the airline.
Originally Posted by formeraa
For a historical perspective, the seatbelt sign was used much more sparingly before 9/11. In the 80's and 90's, the flight attendants would much more strict about being seated while the selt belt sign was on. Usually, it involved yelling and a stern announcement.

Since 9/11, I think the crew feels "safer" with the seatbelt sign on for the whole flight (or as much as possible). I'm not really sure wjy, bit that's just my observation. It does make it more difficult when you really need to use the lavatory.
Yeah, that is the key that would have stopped terrorism. It was the seat belt sign all along.

Or technology has changed since then and airlines/pilots/crew are getting better forecasting models than they did 30 years ago.