FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA's Micronesia Island Hopper - consolidated questions, advice, ....
Old Feb 15, 2020, 3:04 pm
same0717

Programs: B6 Mosaic, UA Gold
Originally Posted by same0717
Only for arriving passengers into Majuro!
Originally Posted by AwardTravelers
worldtraveller73 Can you clarify if you had proof of vaccination or not? It's not clear whether they were requiring proof for passengers staying on Majuro or for everyone on the plane who was continuing on to the next destination. Thank you.
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
AwardTravellers, I had proof of vaccination from vaccination in the last 5 years. The gate agent (Honolulu ground staff) were checking for vaccination within the past 2 years. I did not produce mine and was not asked to show it for through passage on the Hopper or for getting off at the Majuro island hold / transit room.

I did not attempt to enter Majuro thanks to the secondary level of screening before the customs / immigration stands (and the knowledge that my vaccination was over the 2 year mark).

They may have adjusted their approach - my travel was on January 29, 2020. The newer announcement from the partner countries at the Government of Federated States of Micronesia appears to have been on February 7, 2020.

Hope that helps!
The whole situation appears to be evolving on a regular basis and certainly seems to have subjectivity/variability to as well. I traveled SEA-SFO-HNL-MAJ departing Seattle on Sunday, February 9th and Honolulu on Monday, February 10th, 2020 arriving in Majuro, Marshall Islands on Tuesday, February 11th, 2020 (as you cross the dateline). I cleared customs / immigration in Majuro and spent two days in the Marshall Islands before continuing on the hopper to Guam.

In my experience, they did were very conscientious checking that you had documentation of your vaccination, but did not care when it was from as long as it was at least 14 days ago. I had the 2 part MMR vaccine as a child so my vaccine/documentation was 25+ years old. They checked my documentation 4 times before I cleared customs / immigration in MAJ. Once in Seattle when getting boarding passes, Once in Honolulu when entering the boarding area. Twice in Majuro after deplaning but before proceeding to customs / immigration. At least in the places I entered, the Marshall Islands, Guam and returning the Honolulu as far as Coronavirus was concerned they only cared if you had been in mainland China in the last 14 days.

When we arrived in MAJ on Tuesday, only arriving passengers were allowed off the plane. All transiting passengers and cabin crew were required to remain on the plane, while the flight crew and mechanic got off only to conduct their inspection of the aircraft. When I departed Majuro on Thursday and continued on the rest of the hopper through KWA, PNI, TKK my experience was the same. All transiting passengers and cabin crew had to remain on the aircraft at each location. Also as a point of reference with this new must stay on the airplane transit, I was unable to connect to airport wifi from the airplane at any of the stops so you are without connectivity for the duration of the hopper.

Last edited by same0717; Feb 15, 2020 at 3:12 pm