FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - PSA: Amex Travel not honoring all travel waivers due to corona virus
Old Feb 14, 2020, 10:44 am
partsunknown

PSA: Amex Travel not honoring all travel waivers due to corona virus

Just spent 3 hrs on the phone with Amex travel for a booking through on SQ J. Called Singapore but they wouldn't touch it as it was booked through a travel agency. They confirmed the waiver and my companion who booked direct with points got his flights changed no problem (separate itinerary). Amex front line rep claimed he called SQ 3 separate times on the call and each time they told him they cannot change the flights without incurring a $250 change fee. At first he didnt understand SQs waiver, saying the flight was not from/to China so it wont work, then after reading him what the website says it clicked but still no dice. Amex supervisor just confirmed that. So net outcome was $250 airline change fee, $69 amex travel change fee plus an insignificant fare difference of around ~$50.

Sort of shocked they wouldn't honor the carriers policy, guess I'll be out ~$350 since I wont be able to enter Singapore either way. Anyone else experience this?