Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

PSA: Amex Travel not honoring all travel waivers due to corona virus

Old Feb 14, 20, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Just spent 3 hrs on the phone with Amex travel for a booking through on SQ J. Called Singapore but they wouldn't touch it as it was booked through a travel agency. They confirmed the waiver and my companion who booked direct with points got his flights changed no problem (separate itinerary). Amex front line rep claimed he called SQ 3 separate times on the call and each time they told him they cannot change the flights without incurring a $250 change fee. At first he didnt understand SQs waiver, saying the flight was not from/to China so it wont work, then after reading him what the website says it clicked but still no dice. Amex supervisor just confirmed that. So net outcome was $250 airline change fee, $69 amex travel change fee plus an insignificant fare difference of around ~$50.

Sort of shocked they wouldn't honor the carriers policy, guess I'll be out ~$350 since I wont be able to enter Singapore either way. Anyone else experience this?
Old Feb 14, 20, 12:13 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Alaska MVP
Had exact opposite results from Amex this week.

They canceled multiple flights (3 or 5, I forget) I had into and out of HKG, and rerouted/rebooked me without any fuss.
It requires them to call/email the airline to get some fare waiver code, but, if there is a waiver in place with the airline, it’s easy.

If there is no airline waiver... then you have to pay the normal fees.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Feb 14, 20, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

I decided to HUCA and just get right in touch with another supervisor. When I mentioned the waiver code, she said she has a waiver code but it's limited and won't work in this case.

Essentially this second supervisor agreed to 3-way call SQ where they confirmed again there's a waiver in place for ANY flight where passengers have been through china in the last 14 days. SQ said Amex could send them an email with the request and they'd respond in writing with an approval to apply this waiver. So now I'm waiting for that to go through (amex won't cc me or loop me into the emails). Either way, a serious run around and I wouldn't say it was easy after basically having to walk them through it on a 3-way call. Doesn't seem like every rep is aware of this solution when its not obvious to/from china travel (since waivers vary). It's odd to me that even with SQ confirming the waiver over the phone, there's still an email component required but at least SQ said once they got the email they'd reply back "urgently".
Old Feb 14, 20, 12:52 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Bombay Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX View Post
Had exact opposite results from Amex this week.

They canceled multiple flights (3 or 5, I forget) I had into and out of HKG, and rerouted/rebooked me without any fuss.
It requires them to call/email the airline to get some fare waiver code, but, if there is a waiver in place with the airline, it’s easy.

If there is no airline waiver... then you have to pay the normal fees.
Same experience here.

AMEX travel helped me to cancel a non-refundable AA ticket that - due to the travel waiver - garnered a 100% refund.

They also assisted me in cancelling two Gulf Air tickets purchased through AMEX which turned out to be fully refundable minus a cancellation fee.

No complaints.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: