FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bidding or hoping for upgrade?
View Single Post
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:57 am
highupinthesky

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by fassy
In my opinion the courtesy upgrades and the PlusGrade system don't work well together. Since they PlusGrade system has been rolled out allowing bidding with points or cash, I haven't had a single Courtesy upgrade into J. Probably since the PlusGrade upgrades clear at T-48 while the courtesy upgrades are processed T-24. Which means, for a courtesy upgrade to work out, the flight needs to have a veeeeery light load.

In general I feel the "courtesy upgrades" benefit is kind of useless nowadays. They should change it to a one or two confirmed on-cabin class upgrades on SK (or at least to be able to request an upgrade which is processed T-56 before the PlusGrade upgrades clear) a year.
Since the PlusGrade system went live, I've had 2 declined PlusGrade bids, just to get a courtesy upgrade instead, but the for the last couple of years all my long haul flights has either been on none SK metal or booked directly in Plus or Business, so I don't have any experience with PlusGrade or courtesy upgrades within the last 2 years.

But I agree. Getting a courtesy upgrade is a slim chance and not something you should count on.